I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Maybe be helpful to some
Posted by: Justin Poe (---.dhcp.klmt.or.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2007 12:13AM

I took the advise of others on correctly aligning eyes on the rod. One of the tips called for removing the reel (foot?) from an old reel and using that to align the guides. Another tip called for turning the rod over so that the guides are on the bottom and so that you can see which ones are out of line. The problem that I came across was knowing if the reel foot was level, because as evidenced by prior guide placement, my eye is not a good level.

To make this story short, I scrounged a line level and a rubberband. I wrapped the band around both ends that secure onto the line and tested the theory. Not only was the setup light enough not to cause the rod to rotate, but it worked. Now when I have the guides in the down position, I still know where level is.

Hopefully this can be of use to some builders, or if someone has already tried this and it didn't not work for whatever reason, please let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maybe be helpful to some
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 30, 2007 01:40AM

You nailed it Justin ! That's the way I do it and it works for me. Like you,, I don't think my eye is level either.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: April 30, 2007 03:38AM

Good idea. But if you have a spirol wrap the reel well not twist. The reel well always stay on top. Even under pressure. This was deminstrated by Mark griffen of Acid Rods and his buddy at the woodland show, this past month.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.46.---)
Date: April 30, 2007 03:41AM

I'm not understanding what you guys mean about the reel foot being level? Are you using this to make sure your guides or straight or something else? Sorry....

Posted by: Justin Poe (---.dhcp.klmt.or.charter.com)
Date: April 30, 2007 12:04PM

Phil, I was using it too keep the eyes straight. The level is perpendicular to the reel foot. I will ask my wife to help me load a picture and post a link.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 30, 2007 02:05PM

Phil, what Justin is trying to ensure is that the reel seat is perfectly aligned on the same axis as the guides. I am one of the ones that uses the reel seat foot from a smaller penn international reel, placed and tightened in a reel seat already mounted on the blank, to align the stripper guide to the exact axis as that of the reel seat. The reel seat foot self-centers in the reel seat hoods as the real seat nut is tightened. Using the flat upper surfaces of the reel seat foot I then align the rest of the guides to the stripper guide.

The penn international reel seat foot is machined stainless and quite wide where it screes into the reel. Mounted by itself these wide areas form "wings" on either side of the reel seat with a flat upper surface. It has proven to be an excellent tool for aligning guides on rods I build.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster