I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Am I going to have finishing problems?
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 25, 2007 11:20AM

I'm getting ready to start this next fly rod and want to be ready before I start. In the past I've always used color preserver but this time I'm not.

Here's what I'm thinking. Holding the guides down with a halo tinsel underwrap and then top with mederia poly. If I apply the epoxy finish I'm guessing I run the risk of fisheyes. Would it help to wipe the wraps down with some alcohol? Or do I skip the idea of an underwrap and just go for the Mederia and use a CP?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Am I going to have finishing problems?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2007 11:39AM

If you are looking for a specific effect use the underwraps.
If not there is no reason to have them.
Do not use anything to wipe down your threads as it can create more problems then solve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2007 12:26PM

I'd agree with Steve - wiping thread with alcohol is just going to increase problems. The last thing you ever want to do to any type of surface before coating with epoxy is wipe it with a solvent.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: April 25, 2007 01:38PM

Gary
I would just do a test on a piece of scrap blank first. That way at least you will know what to expext.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 25, 2007 01:54PM

I want to do the underwrap to get a translucent glow to the thread. I'm going to do a test run next week when I mix up a batch of epoxy. Like I said the otheroption is to go with a CP. I'd heard rumors that not putting a CP on Maderia will give you fisheyes because of the silicone coating.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: April 25, 2007 02:32PM

Never tried it but perhaps a coat of Permagloss may seal the thread and then epoxy.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 25, 2007 11:38PM

If you don't use CP on Medeira, you Will get fisheyes. Ask Billy V. he uses it almost exclusively. He may have some tricks.

Bill in WV

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 01:01AM

it sounds like you've got a nice idea for that translucent glow and i think you should go for it. since in the past you've always used CP, you should take this opportunity to try something new.

but i think you'll have to use SOMETHING over the base metallic thread since on the two times i've tried it, top thread on bottom thread without anything is very tough to wrap smoothly. i never could get it right. the CP may or may not prevent fish eyes but it'll certainly offer a smooth surface to wrap the top layer.

if CP is the solution you'll pursue, and it sounds iffy to me from a quick search with madiera thread (some have no problems but fish eyes are a probability for most), why not use metallic gudebrod or pacific bay thread for the underlayer instead of madiera?

what about a thin but complete layer of thread finish over the madiera base wrap instead of CP? do people do that?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 01:26AM

Well, I'll vote for the "try-a-wrap" option. Take a spare piece of rod and a spare guide and do one wrap the way you're saying, without the CP. See what happens. If you like it, then you can do it "for real".

Usually I don't say stuff very strongly because I'm no expert about much of anything, for sure, but this time I'm gonna break that rule: NEVER wipe down the threads with anything. Wrap 'em, flame 'em, and finish them. Period.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2007 12:16PM

I vote for trying Permagloss over the Poly...then epoxy over that.

Just be sure to do the test wrap first.

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster