I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster lite
Posted by: Ray Yanko (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2007 07:38AM

Any new word on the availabilty of threadmaster lite?Been holding off on a big order to switch over to the threadmaster from the flex coat and the new lighter version I have been waiting for..Karen from Bingham thought the lite would be available end of march ,Andy.... is it still being worked on or is it a done deal and a little longer wait,if so I may go with an order of the regular version if I have to..Haven't heard any talk about it lately,got a 13 foot pin rod with TYSGS' in the works and the lite will be just the ticket to balance her out...Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster lite
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2007 09:04AM

I see it forsale on fishstick4u but it says available in mid april so it looks to be forsale there. Then again im sure someone would have come on here and said it was ready.,,,,

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: April 25, 2007 10:24AM

It's definately not ready yet, I'm sure Andy will chime in with further details on a release date.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-92.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2007 10:44AM

We have finalized the formula for the Lite and sent a few samples out to my test builders. As soon as they give me the thumbs up, we'll start packaging it. The artwork/labeling is ready to go so the actual bottling won't take long. I am anticipating that we'll start packaging next week.
The formula we've got is REALLY nice. It's about 30% lighter in viscosity than the High Build...I would say it's slightly thinner than FlexCoat Lite. it's got about an extra 15 minutes of potlife (35 minutes total), it's thin enough that it's pretty difficult to mix bubbles into it. The gel time is a bit longer, as is the tack free time, but that's what happens when you add potlife. And were using the same UV inhibitor, so it stays really clear like the original does. Oh...it's a more flexible finish as well.
Anyway, we tried to accomodate the folks that had issues with the High Build, mainly bubble release and potlife. Although the majority of the builders are very satisfied with the high build, I wanted to offer something a little different that would reach everyone.
My personal opinion is that the Lite formula is going to be a better all around formula for the average builder. It seems these days most folks that are building fly/bass/walleye and light salt are going for slightly thinner viscosity in multiple coats.

Anyway, I think you'll all be very pleased. I'll certainly let everyone know via the board and the website when it's ready.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2007 11:12AM

Andy;
Would you recommend using it as an undercoat to the standard Threadmaster? Or is it going to be tough enough by it's self?
I know the sample you showed me at the show seemed to be a bit softer then Threadmaster in that you could put a thumb nail imprint into it.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: April 25, 2007 12:33PM

That sample you saw at the show is NOT what will be the final product. We passed on the version that you saw at the show because it was a bit too soft. It worked great as an undercoat, but not so much as a topcoat. The final version we are releasing will be suitable for either a primer/undercoat or a final topcoat by itself. It's very VERY durable....much moreso than the sample you saw at the show. The reaon I liked the sample that was on display at the show was because it was water thin when mixed, and was EXTREMELY flexible. But it proved not hard enough to provide adequate abrasion resistance. So we thickened the hardener a bit, and now it seems to be just about perfect.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (194.239.239.---)
Date: April 26, 2007 03:20AM

Andy,
I've had some problems with thread penetration with the "old" Threadmaster and to solve this I use a coat of Permagloss to soak the threads - which workes great. Will I need the Permagloss with the new Threadmaster Lite or is the penetration problem solved due to the lighter vicosity ?

I have to add that I'm amazed everytime I use the Threadmaster finish - you dont even have to be very good at it and it still turns out great if you just leave i alone to level out - very good :-)

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2007 06:49AM by Peter Mulbjerg.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.cnrfe.navy.mil)
Date: April 26, 2007 04:40AM

Epoxy as a whole doesn't penetrate threads very well. I use Permaglos as well, but used to do the same with LS Supreme as well.

Date: April 26, 2007 07:39AM

Thanks for the info Andy.Will the application techniques be the same as regular flex coat and threadmaster or will it be even more user friendly..Needing different instructions.Ray

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-196-49.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2007 09:22AM

Yes, the penetration is much better because of the thinner viscosity....shouldn't be any need for Permagloss as a primer coat. I just finished a CTS 8wt. with the prototype formula and it penetrated very very well. However I never really had any penetration problems with the High Build, but some of that depends on your geographic environment...it stays warm down here in my shop in Texas 10 months out of the year, so my resin tends to stay a little thin anyway.

Ray, FYI, I used FlexCoat for 10 years prior to developing ThreadMaster, and I have not changed my technique at all. I always felt like FlexCoat was the gold standard when it came to leveling and ease of use, and the two systems are both very similiar in viscosity and behavior. Many have said that ThreadMaster tends to self level better than other systems, and I have found that to be true as well, however it may depend some on your technique. Actually, I have never altered my technique with any polymer except some of the early versions of LS...LS2000 I think it was and a couple of the other early incarnations of the LS product just didn't agree with my technique, I could never get Clemens Crystal Coat to work for me either.
I don't really do anything fancy.....mix 3cc each componenet, pour out on foil, apply with brush, add a little where it's needed, take off a little where it's needed a little heat here and there to burst the occasional bubble, turn by hand 180 degrees every 3 minutes for an hour, and that's it.....2 coats usually, even with High Build.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 26, 2007 09:44PM

Andy, I'm looking forward to the ThreadMaster Lite! Have you thought about a formulation with a UV inutiator so that once the wrap is coated, you could hit it with one of those UV guns the dentist uses and cure the epoxy in a matter of minutes? That would cut down problems with dust, etc and be the best of both world.

Cheers,
Michael

Date: April 26, 2007 09:44PM

Andy thanks for the reply ,what color preserver do you recommend with the light.I use flex coat now with no problems at all will it be compatable?..Nice knowing someone who is probably busy as heck takes the time to answer questions from the little guy.Thanks again Andy.Ray

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-196-92.myvzw.com)
Date: April 26, 2007 10:36PM

Mike,
We investigated that technology prior to developing ThreadMaster, but found it not really lending itself to this application for a number of reasons....mainly cost.

Ray, There have been no reported issues with Flex's Color Preserver, and ThreadMaster has been on the market almost 2 years now. So it's safe to say that the two are compatible.

I think you guys will really like this formula, it's got all of the good stuff that the high build has, but with a few extra features that make it more accessable to a wider audience.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster