I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Longer epoxy ramps?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 10:09AM

Looking at doing some longer epoxy ramps on UL to ML spinning rods, avg. blank dia. ahead of foregrip is 0.270"-0.320". Would like to do some ramps approx 2-1/2" long to marble on.

Anyone have any tips on this one?

I have read some old posts about first building up steps with size D or E thread. Would this be a good application for this?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Longer epoxy ramps?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 10:54AM

If your going to marble then just build the ramps with epoxy. On an ultra light you will be adding weight that may or may not be wanted. I have made ramps before and it changes the way a rod feels, how much depends on your hands and mind. On the ultra's think about a little shorter ramp, less over all effect on the rod.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 11:14AM

I agree with you on the UL's. I still like to wrap a thread color that matches the base color of the marbling to get the truest color. Given that I'll wrap over the ramp, any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Marc

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 01:40PM

My concern since doing a few rods with epoxy ramps has turned to the added weight, also. Now I make the ramp from cork and marble over that. It's small and delicate (the cork) and can split easily if not done right, but it's worth it to me.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 01:41PM

Do what you think you want to do, and post a picture of it ! ~

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 01:51PM

Long ramps are easy: [i128.photobucket.com] [i128.photobucket.com]

Those are on XH Musky Rods, I made for my fishing buddy and myself. There's nothing to it, do it the same way as any epoxy ramp:

Scuff the blank

Use 5min epoxy with the rod turing in a dryer

Just keep adding coats and working it with a brush to get the shape and length you want.

You can wrap the ramp and finish over it, you can also paint the ramp with testors and a brush on ANY color you want and marble over that. I like using flat black testors, it dries fast and when finished over with finish and marbling it looks outstanding.

An epoxy ramp is NOT heavy in any way and actually lightens a rod over using normal sized cork. Weight (tiny) is not an issue AT the reel seat, the weight issue with rods lies at the oppsite end, that is where you want the lightest materials possible.

DR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 01:55PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Date: April 24, 2007 08:00PM

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 08:17PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: April 24, 2007 11:30PM

Putter - were you going to say something?

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: April 25, 2007 01:41PM

Sorry, wrong number!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster