I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The finest rod.
Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: April 23, 2007 11:12PM

I saw perhaps one of the finest fishing rods I have ever seen today. It was wrapped in orange and black, her school colors. The guides were not quite aligned and gaps were present in the guide wraps as if the rod makers eyes were dim. The butt wrap and trim were snarled as if the connection between the fingers and mind were failing. The inscription said simply “Rachel” in silver sharpie and the shadows of several attempts at a legible name were evident.

Rachel beamed with pride as she showed me the new rod that Grandpa made special for her. It is Grandpas last rod I’m afraid, he is very ill and not expected to pull through. I think he will leave his granddaughter a priceless treasure

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The finest rod.
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2007 11:24PM

I feel your pain Bob,

I hope Grandpa fools the doctors and everyone else and will be around for a long time!

Wishing the best to you and yours.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 23, 2007 11:34PM

Thanks for sharing that, Bob. Really appreciated. I'd made my grandson (well, 1st born grandson) a rod a while back and he finally caught his first walleye on it yesterday. He's still beaming about it.

Thanks again,

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 23, 2007 11:40PM

rachel will love that rod for the rest of her life. i know i would.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 12:12AM

A real treasure and a lifetime of memories

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 12:15AM

Thank you for sharing Bob. I have not built a rod yet for my G-daughters since they are still quite young ( 7, 4 and 1). But I think that now will be a summer goal for me. My thoughts / prayers are with you.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 12:34AM

That is definitely a priceless treasure and a wonderful memory for Rachel.
Thanks for sharing it with us Bob.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 12:57AM

It will fish better than any other rod in the world.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 03:34AM

GRANDPA GAVE HER PART OF HIMSELF. WHO HE IS AND WHAT HE WAS. THAT'S A VERY SPECIAL GIFT, MONEY CERTAINLY COULDN'T BUY ANY BETTER.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 09:31AM

Thank you for sharing Bob.

A fantastic Grandfather...
A loving Grandchild...
What more may anyone want from life ?
May your line always be tight in your journeys

Fred

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 24, 2007 10:45AM

thank you for sharing, it brought a tear to my eye.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2007 05:21PM

Bob My fondest memory as a child was with my grandfather (god rest his sole) fly fishing and the first rod i ever built was with him. You see we both read about this wonderful new material used for fly rods and neithher one of us could afford it. It was called graphite. So we both sent away to fenwick for a fenwick ferlight graphite and they came with a catalog containing directions on how to wrap a rod all the components and thread. Well we spent countless hours one winter in his library working and laughing and talking as we built those rods. To this day fly fishing and rod building always seem to make me think of him as i just know he is here with me. Thanks bob for reminding us all what it's all about.
billy

Posted by: armand flies (---.emirates.net.ae)
Date: April 24, 2007 05:27PM

OK who is grandfather, and what is his relationship to Bob?

Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 09:45PM

Rachel works where I do, sorry I wasn't real clear. I really touched me how proud she was of her Grandfather for building that for her. She has been wanting use it since she got it so I guess I'll try to get her into a springer. It is hard to express the excitement in her eyes. I got to thinking back on some of the rods I built years ago for my family and some of the folks I built for. I saw some of the same glimmer in their eyes too. Back then I did not recognize it but I guess I have matured now.

Posted by: david daniels (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 11:11PM

thanks for sharing that with us bob. my grandpa never built me a rod, but i would give anything to go fishing with him just one more time.
dave daniels.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2007 12:21PM

Nice post Bob. I've made rods for my wife and kids and they love using them. My daughter is interested in building a rod, so I've started working with her on an Ice fishing rod. I'll have her wrap a couple of guides, turn the cork, install the handle, and apply the finish. She's busy figuring out what colors to use and has been practicing wraps on dowels. Should be fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster