I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Whats the most reliable color preserver for under flex coat epoxy?
Posted by: Jason Smith (---.sac.net.va.gov)
Date: April 21, 2007 06:19PM

I seem to have trouble with flex coat CP. What are the alternatives that will work under flex coat epoxy (which I like very much).
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whats the most reliable color preserver for under flex coat epoxy?
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 06:29PM

Posted by: Jim Morris (58.169.66.---)
Date: April 21, 2007 09:46PM

Jason, Can I ask what troubles have you had with Flex Coat cp? I've used the stuff for as long as I can remember and I've always found it to be really easy to use with great results. I lay it on generously and quickly with a soft bristle, flat nylon brush while rotating the blank. Any small bubbles that remain on the surface of the threads can be removed with an extra smooth brush stroke and since it dries clear and virtually invisible, a little too much on the surface is better than too little (enough to soak the threads and appear at the ends of the guide feet, but not enough to drip). Basically, if you are not putting on enough Flex Coat cp you'll 'brush up' bubbles. It is important to SOAK all the threads quickly in one go, otherwise you could end up with some threads that are partly cp'd since it dries quickly and they will turn a different color when epoxied because they will still be able to take up the epoxy. I let the cp dry overnight and it is ready to take any two part epoxy the next day. Being a water based product, the brush lasts forever after being washed in water. I also let my cp'd threads dry for ages on the theory that any dampness left around your guide feet and sealed with epoxy too soon will lead to corrosion (I've repaired a few cp'd factory rods with rusty feet that were totally sealed (well beyond the threads) with epoxy and never used in salt water, so the cp mustn't have dried completely to begin with). Jim

Date: April 22, 2007 01:10AM

Jim Morris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jason, Can I ask what troubles have you had with
> Flex Coat cp? I've used the stuff for as long as I
> can remember and I've always found it to be really
> easy to use with great results. I lay it on
> generously and quickly with a soft bristle, flat
> nylon brush while rotating the blank. Any small
> bubbles that remain on the surface of the threads
> can be removed with an extra smooth brush stroke
> and since it dries clear and virtually invisible,
> a little too much on the surface is better than
> too little (enough to soak the threads and appear
> at the ends of the guide feet, but not enough to
> drip). Basically, if you are not putting on enough
> Flex Coat cp you'll 'brush up' bubbles. It is
> important to SOAK all the threads quickly in one
> go, otherwise you could end up with some threads
> that are partly cp'd since it dries quickly and
> they will turn a different color when epoxied
> because they will still be able to take up the
> epoxy. I let the cp dry overnight and it is ready
> to take any two part epoxy the next day. Being a
> water based product, the brush lasts forever after
> being washed in water. I also let my cp'd threads
> dry for ages on the theory that any dampness left
> around your guide feet and sealed with epoxy too
> soon will lead to corrosion (I've repaired a few
> cp'd factory rods with rusty feet that were
> totally sealed (well beyond the threads) with
> epoxy and never used in salt water, so the cp
> mustn't have dried completely to begin with). Jim

Jim, I used it on the first two rods I ever made, for some reason the threads turned milky white at the edges of the wraps after I used the rods. some say I probably had CP extending beyond the area covered with epoxy, thus exposing the CP to the elements. I'm not sure thats what happened though. Since then, I have never used CP and I like the way it looked on my fly-rods, but now I am getting into butt wraps and I have to use CP to prevent the beed through. Thanks.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.73.74.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 01:11AM

Jason, what Jim said... what exactly is the problem you are having? If it is blotches, or "uneven" color, changing CP isn't going to help. That's a matter of how you do your threadwork.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: April 22, 2007 05:26AM

You can not beat #811 or lacquer.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.156.106.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 23, 2007 07:17AM

I had some MAJOR problems with flex coat CP! Turned out it was old stock from a shop that didn't sell much, or it had gotten frozen, or something like that.

Either way, I moved over to #811, (THANK YOU, TOM!) and I'll never go back. Just my personal experience.

-TH

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2007 10:40PM

Gudebrod 811 is good. U40 Color Lock is a close second. I've used both successfully.

Gudebrod has a clear (and flammable) CP as well. Not so happy with this.

Terry

Posted by: Matthew Cederquist (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 24, 2007 09:45PM

I used some old U 40 on a rod once and my flexcoat yellowed on me. I belive that it was my old cp becouse ths is the only tome that this happened.

I've hunted and fished almost every day. The rest have just been wasted.

Posted by: Jim Morris (58.169.66.---)
Date: April 24, 2007 11:12PM

Jason, sorry not to reply - been away. From what you describe, it sounds like your epoxy got damp and didn't dry out. Cured epoxy goes milky when damp for too long, but goes clear again when it dries out. I've had that temporarily (one to two days) happen to rods left in the rain when camping. If it is just the edges of your threads, it sounds like the water bled under the epoxy and into the threads and it would then take ages for the epoxy to go clear again. The most likely cause would be the epoxy not extending beyond the threads and if the threads weren't properly soaked with cp to begin with, they could take up water - rather than being a fault with the cp, that would be problem with application. With double foot guides, I often extend the epoxy just beyond the threads at the outside of the guide feet and leave the epoxy level with the thread on the inside of the feet because it looks much neater.I do this with fresh water rods , not salt ones. Providing the cp was really laid on at the start, I've yet to see any evidence of water penetration where the epoxy ends at the threads, because the cp blocks it.
Of course the other reason for 'milky' edges to your epoxy is the epoxy itself is lifting for some reason and yes, it is possible that if your cp extended beyond the edge of your epoxy, in time the cp may begin to delaminate from the blank and take the epoxy with it - it would only go to the outside edge of the threads though and I would expect this would only happen after some time in an area where the rod flexes dramatically (rather than near the butt for example). Hope this helps. I have no connection with that brand of cp by the way, it is just that I've never had any problems with it. Jim.

Date: April 25, 2007 07:34PM

Thanks Jim and everyone. I'm gonna try 811 this time for a change.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster