I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Material other than thread for a ferrule wrap?
Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.reverse.newskies.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 11:37AM

I may be showing my ignorance here, but is it feasible to use a solid material to create the same effect as a thread wrap to protect a female ferrule end from spitting? Possibly antler, corrian, a very dense wood, hard rubber or (if you can get it) ivory? If the inner surface was carefully worked to match the taper of the ferrule and then adhered with rod bond, could this work?

Rodney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Material other than thread for a ferrule wrap?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 19, 2007 11:46AM

I think that any hard material fitted tightly against the blank might be asking for trouble by creating a shear point. I would think that there would have to be a certain amount of flex as the blank will change shape slightly under load (I think)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: April 19, 2007 01:13PM

i would agree with mike. anything that does not flex will create very large stress concentrations at the edges... i would assume the longer they are, the worse stress concentrations it would create.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2007 01:33PM

My Outcast and BigCatch rod blanks from Korea/China? come with a chrome looking piece at the female end of the ferrules. Up to about 1/2" long on ultra heavy duty surf rod blanks. No reports of shearing that I'm aware of. Here in Hawaii these rods are ABUSED.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: April 19, 2007 03:35PM

Mark, what material are those blanks made out of and their construction (ie hollow, solid, etc.)?

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 19, 2007 03:59PM

Rodney,
There are several potential problems with what you are asking about. As others have pointed out any increase in the stiffness will result in what is called stress concentration. There will be higher stress just in front of the stiffer area. Another potential problem is lowering the rods performance. Anything that you reinforce the ferrule with that has higher density than the thread and epoxy will add weight and lower the performance of the rod.

Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 03:34PM

I have been thinking about this question and have collected some thoughts. I created a "picture" that I've posted to the miscellaneous section of the photo board. I'm open to corrections or omissions in my logic being pointed out.
Steve

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 04:41PM

another component of the von mises stress that would result is due to the fact that when under load, the blank will want to deform nonuniformily, resulting in an oblong (oval) cross section. since the solid ferrule would not allow any distortion in the cross section, it will want to try to have a very abrupt change in cross sectional geometry, leading to internal stresses.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 20, 2007 07:14PM

Steven,
I see a problem with your logic. The thread and epoxy are very high strain, very low modulus of elasticity, as compared to the graphite so they create relatively little additional stiffness. The additional stiffness at the ferrule is due to the reinforcing or the additional material that is added at the ferrule. And the stress concentration does not occur at the ferrule. It occurs just in front of the ferrule reinforcing, typically a couple of inches in front of it.
You are right about the cross section of the rod becoming slightly oval under a load. This is because for the rod to bend the portion under tension, typically the top of the rod, must become slightly longer and the portion under compression, typically the bottom, must become slightly shorter. And the top and the bottom of the rod resist this deformation. But the portion of the rod in the center, called the neutral axis, is not under any tension or compression, no stress or strain, it does not deform so the cross section of the rod becomes slightly elliptical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2007 07:24PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2007 04:36AM

Steven. These blanks are made of graphite.

Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 12:21PM

Emory,
Yes I agree that the thread/epoxy adds very little in terms of stiffness. Really I was only contrasting it's contribution to the effect of the adding a very stiff material to replace the thread. The lack of extra stiffness (in absolute terms) also points out that the load transferrence is through a different mechanism than shear flow through to the fibers of the butt section. I would argue that the transfer mechanism is through bending due to the stance produced by the overlap length. The requirement to maintain the integrity of the interface over the whole length of the insertion is why a warranty replacement of a broken rod requires that you send both the tip and butt sections back to the manufacturer. If you agree with this then it's even a stronger argument that the function of the thread wrap is to augment the integrity of the open (possibly flawed) end of the graphite skrim and why one must take care to prevent damage to the open end of the tip section.

Mark,
Fair enough. The proper design of a graphite layup can begin to approach the isotropic charactersitics of a solid material. There are many factors involved (e.g. fiber diameter, degree of bonding between sheets, orientation of the sheets, curing process etc) but it can be done. However, the beauty of laying up multiple layers of composite sheets is that the performance can be tailored to the expected loading conditions and desired response. My experience is with composite construction for wings of small aircraft where loading and load response factors are critical. Since rods need to perform equally in the loading conditions seen when fighting a fish, I would assume that the layup pattern is symmetric. If I were designing a rod to pull up a big fish straight up (e.g. deep sea rig), I might be tempted to add an extra sheet of longtitudinal fibers on the back of the rod. Unfortunately composite construction is susceptible to many seemingly minor problems. A small inclusion when glueing sheets will comprimise the function of the whole thing. Another real problem area is when an open end of a layup is expected to handle some form of loading (what is seen at the end of a female ferrule section in a rod blank). This means that many factors will possibly create the crack tip which leads to a zipper type failure. Again, this is why it is so important to have the wrap near the end of female section.

Steve

Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.reverse.newskies.net)
Date: April 22, 2007 03:04AM

And I was simply trying to figure out if this would be a another way to dress up a rod in a unique manner.... Guess I will forgo trying out this idea. Thanks guys.

Rodney

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.156.106.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 23, 2007 07:44AM

Rodney,
Use thread as is typical, and then add your finish cover material with a slighly enlarged hole. Use a silicone bedding, which will allow flex without adding pressure. 1/16" should be plenty of clearance, and the silicone should do the rest.

Just a thought to help your idea work.

-TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster