I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The paint is coming off! Arrrgghhh!
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (203.52.130.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 10:19PM

G'day Guys,

I have just started doing the underwraps on a boat rod I'm re-building. I had previously stripped the rod of its original black paint and painted it with Tamiya PS in Metallic Blue, followed by 2 coats of PG.

Unfortunately, as I've been doing the underwraps and placing masking tape on the blank to hold various bits of thread and pull throughs, some of the paint has been pulled off by the tape. I was quite surprised because the other rod I re-painted in the same way did not have this problem.

This rod was missing a fair bit of its paint when I got it and I can only surmise that it may have been exposed to something that has impregnated the blank and caused the paint to fail in some places. A good work over with a finger nail shows that the paint around the patches is adhered well.

Unfortunately the only fix I can think of, apart from stripping the rod again (and I'm not gonna do it because the rod is not worth spending the time on) is to cover the bare areas with a wrap of metallic blue thread. I have done this and it blends reasonably well but does look a bit out of place. However it won't affect the way it fishes.

Next time I have to re-paint a blank and I'm not sure of its history I think I might hit it with degreaser before painting.

Oh well, you live and learn. I've got to say that I am really looking forward to starting with a blank straight from the factory so I can avoid all these annoying little issues.

Cheers

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The paint is coming off! Arrrgghhh!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 10:22PM

Jason,

Did you prep the blank and create a waterbreak fee surface for the paint to adhere to?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 18, 2007 10:39PM

Mike,

I sure did! Gave it a good going over with Scotchbrite and actually ran it under water to check.

This blank was lying around in a shed. Don'[t know how long for either. It could have been exposed to all sorts of things.

Jason

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 10:44PM

That's a darn shame!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 18, 2007 11:22PM

Tell me about it. I put in a fair bit of work, stripping, prepping and re-painting this blank. It might have been a good candidate to cover completely in thread. Anyway, my next rod will be on a nice shiny new blank, so no problems then - hopefully.

Jason

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 18, 2007 11:37PM

This same thing has unfortunately has happened with nearly all of the rods I have painted to some degree or another until I started using automotive grade paint and an airbrush. The finish is then baked CAREFULLY in a hot box at about 180 degrees. The only process that has been reliable for me so far. Believe me when I say I am VERY retentive when it comes to prepping my blanks as well. I found a couple of hobby paints I am experimenting with on blank scraps that I bang around on occasion and so far there are no chipping issues.....YET.

This is what we have to deal with when we want pretty blanks I guess. One of the experimental paints is metallic olive green......I have PLANS for that color if it works.

Derek

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 19, 2007 06:12AM

Your only option at this point might be to wrap the rest of the painted areas with metallic thread. As it is a boat rod I don't think it would make much difference. At least the blue will be all the same color.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 01:24PM

I wrap the entire blank with thread rather than painting them all the time. As I tell the customer, it's faster than painting, cheaper than painting, and holds up better than painting. Jesse

Date: April 19, 2007 09:44PM

Thanks for your comments Guys,

Bruce, I'm not sure its worth my time and effort to wrap thread on this blank now. I think I'd be better off to just wrap on the small sections of paint that have come off and live with the ugly look.

Jesse,

I had read your previous posts about completely wrapping the blank with thread. If I had known the paint would come off like it has, I would proabably have done that. Maybe next time!

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.249.156.106.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: April 23, 2007 07:33AM

I have discovered that after painting, letting the rod "bake" in the sun for a day, turning it so all the paint can "cure" properly, makes for a much tougher finish. I guess the UV light and the warmth helps everything bond properly.

Why not touch up the paint and let the rod bake in the sun for a day, before wrapping?

-TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster