I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bulge in blank taper?
Posted by: Robert Robertson (71.31.148.---)
Date: April 17, 2007 09:12PM

Hi, everyone...

I just received a Forecast spinning blank, 6'6", 2pc.

At the tip end of the butt section, about the last 6 inches gently tapers wider, and then back in. The blank still fits neatly into the tip section, but I can feel and see that the blank has this gentle, smooth "reverse" taper.

In fact, here I'll measure what I've got. Remember, this is roughly a 3'4" butt section, and I'm giving measurements from the butt towards the tip end:

Butt = 0.320"
5.25" behind the tip = 0.170
3.25" behind the tip = 0.200
Tip of Butt section = 0.170

Now that I see that measured, it doesn't seem like much, but I can feel it. My question for all of you is whether or not this is a serious flaw, likely to cause any problems in terms of structural integrity.

What it looks like, is that this "bulge" is where the corner of the skinny little triangle of fabric for the blank ended up. I can see that change in the overall "grain" of the blank, which happens to be finished in a striking gloss plum.

Should I keep this blank or send it back?

-Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bulge in blank taper?
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 10:23PM

Call Batson and ask.

Date: April 18, 2007 08:26AM

IT'S NOT A FORECAST!

I'm really sorry for my mistake. The blank in question is one of the Sportsman's series from NetCraft.

I am also currently building a Forecast fly rod, and I order almost all of my stuff from NetCraft, so that's my lame excuse.

I've built a number of Forecast fly rods and used a couple of Rainshadow blanks. I've never had any problems with any of their products, and I've been absolutely impressed by the level of customer service that they have provided to me, especially since I'm just a small-time retail customer. (They are a supplier, so they don't even market to guys like me, but they are really helpful and have sent me catalogs and emails!)

I am also happy with NetCraft, and I'll talk to them today about how to proceed with my bulging blank.

Thanks, Cliff, for the email and setting me straight. You are a great resource for everyone here.

-Rob

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 01:00PM

Rob,
Where you see what you are talking about is on the import blanks that still have the ground ferrules. They build up the tip of the butt section then grind them to fit the tip section.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: April 18, 2007 01:53PM

Todd,

Thanks, that's exactly what it looks like. I'm slow, but I am starting to learn that I get what I pay for. I've used those blanks before, because I'm "thrifty" (not the phrase my wife uses). I've been happy with them, and NetCraft, but I also have decided that there are some better blanks out there for the money. This project happens to be for a fund-raising raffle, and it's a pretty subtle thing, but I don't think I'll use that particular line of blanks again.

-Rob

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 03:14PM

Rob,
I wasn't by any means trying to move you into another product. I'm a firm believer that if it has been working for you don't change.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster