I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel attachment to Surf Rods
Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 10:11AM

OK, having never built a surf rod before, I had a guy who wanted one and wanted cork grip the whole length of the handle. So how do I attach one of those plate surf seats? Or is that the solution?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel attachment to Surf Rods
Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 10:15AM

Your options include a plate seat, coasters (kinda like hose clamps), tape, or Mudhole has adjustable reel seats for larger diameter blanks.

Plate seats are attached with thread...or some use tape so that they can be moved as necessary to fit the conditions.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: April 17, 2007 12:35PM

I fished next to a guy on the beach last year that had no reel seat whatsoever. The butt was wrapped in cork tape on one rod, and his other rod had black heat shrink over cork tape. He used only the reel clamp (conventional reel) to hold the reel in place, and when I asked him why he had it built that way, he said he liked to be able to move the reel up and down the blank to find the sweet spot for his cast. I'm thinking to myself, wait until he catches something and the reel goes flying off the rod. He caught a 59lb Cobia that morning and the reel held up just fine. Maybe the guy your building this rod for wants to do something similar.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 01:26PM

I'd try to talk him out of the idea (I don't know what he's going to gain by having cork along the entire grip), but if he sticks to it, I'd use a plate reel seat. I've used Fuji's LS7BB seat on three or four surf rods, and like it very much -- it holds the reel securely and has been pretty durable so far.

The reel seat does get wrapped on the blank and finished just like a guide. I would recommend that you use size D or even size E thread for attaching it, though, as the thicker gauge of these threads has worked better for me than size A. I doubt that the thicker thread holds the seat any more securely than Size A, but the thicker threads are more durable once they're finished, and durability is a big concern of mine when I build surf rods.

One additional thing I'd do if I had to put a plate reel seat over a cork grip: I'd take a couple of plastic poker chips, punch a hole in the center , and sand/scrape them until they fit on the blank and their circumference was the same as the cork grip. I'd use four or so underneath the plate seat, with cork in between them. The poker chips will be a nice decorative touch, but more important, they will prevent the reel seat from crushing the cork and loosening the real seat. I read about this technique in the Tennessee Handle edition of Rodmaker Magazine, and though I prefer mounting plate reel seats directly onto the blank, if I had to install one over a cork grip I'd use the poker chips as insurance.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 11:37PM

Ditto on what Chris says about crushing cork. Been there done that and the the cork will not hold up to a plate seat working on it day in & day out.

Cork rubberized tape holds up well as does urethane rod grip tape.

One person I build surf rods for never has a reel seat installed - the rod is grip from butt to a point about where a foregrip would end. He tapes on his plate seat. I know, I know, but this is what he wants to do and they are his rods after all.

We tried, for his use, various grades of cord and made some to work, but he did not want to sit there and wind thread/cord on so we looked some more. Electrical tape does not work well for this - too much stretch. What we found out holds most firmly is the white fiber reinforced "medical" tape from the drugstore - it has no stretch and good adhesive that does not degrade into a sticky mess, and thus holds a plate seat firmly.

Lou

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: April 18, 2007 08:59AM

The old school method, Lou -- which will probably make you cringe but is the way the old timers did it -- was to use hose clamps to attach the reel to the rod. It might not be the prettiest method, but it does hold the reel securely, and is removable. I like my seats to be stationary -- I build the rods so that they work well where I put the reel, so I don't see much gain by moving things around -- but some guys do like to move the reel around while they're fishing, and for that purpose I think hose clamps probably work as well as anything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster