I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madiera Embroidery Thread
Posted by: Richard Scamoffa (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 04:53PM

I'm about to build my first rod in 10 years, so I'm not up to speed on the latest materials or technology. I keep seeing this embroidery thread for sale, and they suggest that it can be used to wrap rod guides. My question is, can this stuff be any good? I used gudbrod in the past, are there any differences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madiera Embroidery Thread
Posted by: thad peach (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 05:26PM

do a search for all dates on madiera thread. You will find all the answers you need..

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2007 05:39PM

Gudebrod still offers specialty nylon rod wrapping thread as does National and Pacific Bay.

The Madierra thread isn't specifically intended for rod building, but many are using it with good results. The color selection is tremendous.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2007 05:42PM

A search here will get you a ton of opinions!!! The one that people use for rods is the Polyneon 40, NOT rayon. 330+ colors. Best to use CP with it, though

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 07:13PM

I used Madeira thread for the first time to wrap guides last week. I will see how it will hold up in the long run. Just like the song says, "you can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant," well you can get any color you want in Madeira thread.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 07:58PM

This is how it got started on this forum (notice there were no first and last name rules back then) : [www.rodbuilding.org]

And here is how the not strong enough for guide myth started: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Some good posts on the LAST page of the Madeira search.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 08:59PM

Tom, I sure wish you would let Gudebrod in on the fact that their thread stocks are sure getting backordered a lot from suppliers. At present it is past the funny stage on braids, one ounce spools of anything and the new B they just came out with. I am a nylon thread builder all the way and I am beginning to squirm! It looks like I may just find out first hand if the Maderia needs CP or not and if it is strong enough for guide wrapping first hand.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 12:33AM

Maderia does need a coat C/P coat. Maderia has a coating on it that can cause fish eyes
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 12:37AM

Hey Ellis,

I met Alice and Ray Brock and Arlo Guthrie when they were the Houseparents for a Youth Hostel on Martha's Vineyard back when Arlo was 16.Later when the Alice's Restaurant movie was being made in Stockbridge and Lenox, MA I was an extra and can be seen a couple of scenes. Your reference to that song brings back a bunch of memories.

Dave Gilberg

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 16, 2007 10:37AM

I pretty much use Madiera thread exclusively now, except on heavy saltwater trolling rods. I use it on the guides and decorative wraps. To this date I haven't seen a problem with it. I use U40 CP and put 2 coats 1 hour apart from each other and Threadmaster finish. Just my 2 cents. Scott

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:36AM

We use Gudebrod CP under Threadmaster finish, over Madiera thread. We've had no problems. The stuff is a bit pricey but the colors selections are really something. I like their catalog too - it's the real threads.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 12:45AM

Russ,
Where are you getting it that it's pricey?? An 1,100 yd spool of Polyneon is about the same price as two 100 yd spools of Gudebrod nylon A

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 18, 2007 08:47AM

Retail on 1100 METERS is $3.65. MEtallic 1000 meters retail is $15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster