I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Woodland event
Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 14, 2007 09:32PM

Unfortunately, I had to miss the Saturday portion of the event this year. I was able to take part in the Build Your Own Blank program that Todd Vivian from Lamiglas generously puts on. It was incredibly educational to see how a blank is made from a sheet of graphite to the end product. Todd and the crew from Lamiglas did a great job getting us through this process. During the afternoon some of the people started showing up for the demo's and seminars.
Bill and Karry from Batson Ent. were there with a full display of their products. As ususal, they took time out from setting up their wares to talk with anyone who wandered up with a question or comment.
I had the opportunity to meet Joe Douglas and had a very nice conversation with him and Blackie about RBI.
I was very excited to meet Doc Ski finally and he took time out from setting up his table to show a couple of us some of his tricks for his beautiful weaves. Kerry Hanson was right next to him and also spent a good amount of time showing us how he uses his patterns and his weaving jig. All of this was before the demo's were even close to starting and their time was very much appreciated.
Everyone there was very generous with their time when they really needed it to finish setting up their demo's.
There were several more that I was looking forward to meeting such as Putter and Bob Balcombe. But my work has a nasty way of rearing it's ugly head at the worst times and I was unable to get back down there today. While this certainly isn't on a scale anywhere close to High Point, if you're within driving distance, it is well worth the time to pencil it in for next year.

Jeff Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Woodland event
Posted by: Andrew Toynbee (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: April 15, 2007 11:34AM

Once again, Todd put on a spectacular event. The Build Your Own Blank event was great, and the seminar sessions were superb. I learned a ton and made several new friends.

Many thanks to you, Todd, and to Lamiglass. What a class act!

Andrew Toynbee

Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: April 15, 2007 11:12PM

I have to agree with Andrew. I was impressed, I managed to crash the party late Saturday morning and spent the rest of the day learning. Met some very nice folks and over all had a great time. The folks at Lamiglas and the vendors there were awesome. Thank you Todd!

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:23AM

Todd,
I also want to thank you for holding your event in Woodland.

The blank building was terriffic. Each person did every step of building their own blank totally by themself. What a wonderful opportunity. I liked the way we were put into two groups and the presenters performed for both groups. All of us got to see every presentation that way. There was plenty of time between sessions to meet the various company representives and look at their wares. Not only were the presentations terrific, but the presenters continued to answer questions all through the day. I must say that the best thing I noticed was the feeling of community that developed as the weekend progressed. Coming from afar, I knew very few people from that area of the country, but by the time I left I had made many good friends. I have been to many events put on by a variety of groups and hands down this was one one the best. There were no secrets, no politics, and it was free! Thank you Todd and the prople who made this event possible.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 04:37PM

Ron you are just discovering what the rest of us have known for a long time. Once you get away from the organized clubs and organizations you will find a great deal of commaraderie and community going on with everyone. Everyone is on an even keel and nobody has any weight to throw around. Come to the big event there in NC and you won't find anyone who won't talk to you and treat you like they have known you forever. No big shots or anything just regular guys all sharing their rod building knowledge. Glad to hear the Lami event is now taking this same approach. It will probably take off and soar now that it's broken free of the organization trap. A lot more people will sure be interesting in going now, that's for sure.

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2007 11:59PM

I have attended this event twice now and both times it has been great. I will defenitly make it a regular part of my year from now on. I would like to second or third all the complements given to both Todd and Lamiglas for organizing such a great event. I would also like to thank all the presenters for taking the time to teach others what they. Coming from a family of teachers I have the utmost respect and admeration for those that take the time to help others learn. Lastly I would like to thank all the vendors for their efforts for taking the time to answer all the questions I had without trying to sell me something. I know it is your job to get me to buy from you but I never felt that any of them ever fed me a line to try to make a sale. I would like to give special thanks to Bill and Karry Batson for letting me tag along with them on their fishing trip on Sunday and even letting me catch the first fish. These guys are a class act and really know how to fish as well. Thanks again to every one involved.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 12:28PM

I would like to thank everyone who attended our event which made for a tremendously enjoyable time. While it is great to see the many old friends it is also excellent having so many new people attending each year. I also would like to thank the crew here which helped to make it so much fun for everyone and took so much weight off of my shoulders.
Great to see & meet everyone and look forward to seeing all of the regulars and new folks next year the 11th and 12th, 2008.

Todd

By the way John, this event we have had here at Lamiglas the past three years has never had any club or organization affiliation.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 17, 2007 06:46PM

I haven't heard how many attended this yet, but it sure turned out well!! Lots of fun and many friendships made along with old ones re-newed. Too darned many names to drop and sure as heck, I'd forget someone if I tried, too. Lots of memories with the U40 & @#$%& folks!! Sorry about stabbing the Permagloss can, Dan...

My hat's off to all that made the trip there (it sure is a long drive!!!) and helped in any way, shape or form to make this thing happen.

I got home about a half hour ago and am looking forward to a night in a familiar bed with my Brittany (good ol' Gunner) watching my back for me.

Take care,

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Leo Villaruz (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2007 01:47AM

Thank you Todd for putting on such a great event. This was my first ever seminar and if this was an example of the rod building community, I'll definitely attend more in the future. I'd like to thank your staff for their professionalism and patience during the BYOB event. Ben and Charlie are so jazzed about building rods we're having a wrapping BBQ this weekend.

If you're ever fishing the Neah Bay area, look for us. We'll be the ones with the really, really red poles.

Leo

Posted by: Herman Leu (---.portland-07rh16rt.or.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 09:16PM

Thank you Todd and all your people at Lamiglas. You guys are the greatest. You treated everyone like we were family. I am grateful beyond words.

The BYOB experience was amazing. If anyone has not tried it, I suggest you get in on it next year. I originally thought we were going to build up reject blanks, but when I showed up and found everyone in the back cutting their own patterns that just blew me away.

This was my first full rod building event. Last year I got there at the tail end of the second day when most people packed up and left already. A big THANK YOU to all the people who gave seminars and all the factory reps. I learned lots. Just seeing something done is literally worth a thousand words. Thank you Mike for the spiral wrap presentation. I can't wait to put that knowledge to use. Thank you Doc Ski for answering all my dumb questions. Thank you Putter for the video. I'm glad you made it home safely.

It was nice making so many new friends. I look forward to seeing you guys again next year. Betty your cherry pie was delicious. Thanks for letting me have the rest. Sorry to anyone who didn't get a piece. I grabbed the last two.

Leo and Charlie. When r we going to go get some 'butts? Enjoy them two blanks. That red sure came out nice. People down here can't believe I rolled my own blanks.

God bless everyone.
Herman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster