I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Florida Grouper Rod measurement
Posted by: Philip Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 11:03AM

Folks:

Inspired by a recent set of postings on this subject, I ordered a Gator Glass T80XH blank, which just came in this morning!

I'm now trying to figure out where to ideally place the reelseat.

I suspect the answer lies in a response to a second question, that is: when you haul back on the fish do you tuck the butt under your right armpit (if you are right handed) or under the left armpit?

I should THINK that if you are reeling in and hauling back at the same time, the answer is the left to avoid getting wrapped around the axle, but if you are just hauling, then the right, so your whole body can torque on the rod.

The measurements differ, obviously....

Whit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Florida Grouper Rod measurement
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2007 11:32AM

I would have to believe you'd want the rod butt under the opposite arm of your reeling hand. Others may do it differently, but that's how I've used bottom rods most often.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 01:38PM

I reel with my right hand and put the rod under my right arm, so does everyone else I know. I just put a 14" rear grip on it and let the reel seat fall where it may. The longer length allows you to adjust without the butt slipping out from uner your arm.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 01:56PM

Everyone does things differntly, up here if you reel with teh sam arm you tuck the rod under, you're a Googan. Further North, if you don't fish like this you're a Yahoo.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 02:29PM

That's all right, down here everyone thinks that everyone up there are googans and yahoos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2007 02:41PM by Scott Youschak.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 02:52PM

Well, after fishin in NY my entire life, and 5 or 6 times in Florida, for the most part I would have to agree. And the internet has made the googs & yahoo's even more dangerous by arming them with access to information, which they misinterpret, don't read, or it's just way over their heads...regardless, tehy know it all because it said so on teh internet, lol.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: April 13, 2007 06:48PM

The only reason why the use the rear grip under the armpit is for leverage. My whole life I was taught to stick the butt of the rod in my stomach and fight the fish with the tip in the air (stripers and sturgeon).

Go to FL where the first 30 seconds of the fight is critical so Mr. Grouper doesn't take you to his house, and leverage is everything, and you stick the rear grip under your right armpit, left arm on foregrip, and pull for everything your worth. This being said, any rear grip under 12" was pretty uncomfortable for me as I have long arms.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 09:34PM

Yup googans and yahoos are all over the place down here but soon it will be too hot for them then I can go fishing. Never wil understand though the best kept secret about here is the best fishing is in the summer and we have it all to our selves. sshhhhhh don't tell

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 09:34PM

Yup googans and yahoos are all over the place down here but soon it will be too hot for them then I can go fishing. Never wil understand though the best kept secret about here is the best fishing is in the summer and we have it all to our selves. sshhhhhh don't tell

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2007 12:33AM

You mean the summer is the only time during the year you don't get wind 20-30K for weeks on end? You mean I should plan my trip[s in teh summer trather than in January and sit here praying Mother Nature doesn't screw me?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster