I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Value
Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 09:16PM

This a chance for the higher intelects to chime in. What is "value"? How do our customers relate to it? Is it something that you can go to "cheapo world" and get at a whim or is it something constructed of top of the line components ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Value
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 10:14PM

Every one has a different conception of value.With some it has to do with how much or how little money they have.The ones with little money seem to apprieate better quality as value because it is more of a treat for them to have the item.The ones with plenty of cash will buy something just to say yhte have it and never really apprieate it.That the way it is here in the North east anyway.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 10:27PM

19 results for: value

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
val·ue /ˈvælyu/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[val-yoo] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -ued, -u·ing.
–noun 1. relative worth, merit, or importance: the value of a college education; the value of a queen in chess.
2. monetary or material worth, as in commerce or trade: This piece of land has greatly increased in value.

Well I didn't list all the definitions,

Here are a couple more
8. import or meaning; force; significance: the value of a word.
9. liking or affection; favorable regard.
10. values, Sociology. the ideals, customs, institutions, etc., of a society toward which the people of the group have an affective regard.
These values may be positive, as cleanliness, freedom, or education, or negative, as cruelty, crime, or blasphemy.

As you can see the word has so many different meanings that it now has become "VALUELESS".

In business they have started adding the word "value added" to their products, Microsoft is the biggest culprit.

The one and only person that can give you the definitive answer to your question is you.
for more info go here [dictionary.reference.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2007 10:31PM

I would say that within the context you asked, value would pertain to whether or not something does what you want it to do at a price you expect to be able to do it for. So for some people, a $39 fishing rod is an exceptional value, while for others it is not. For some, a $300 custom rod is great value, while for others it is not.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 12:03AM

Value has many definitions. Some think as it was a good deal, while others think the value was in the looks of a product and others still think the value was in its performance. Then there is Uncle Joe who paid 25 cents for a hammer in 1950 and he is still using it today. So I guess it is a prospective way you look at an item, well it preform the way you want it to.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 01:31AM

OK, let's relate it directly to rods, which is what I think Sammy maybe meant to do in the first place.

For rods in the price ranges of our custom work, the value has to be in the perception by the customer that one of our rods is worth the money we're asking for it. It's no more complicated than that. Depending on what you charge, he can buy off-the-shelf rods for the same money, so there's got to be something special that makes him want to have one of yours. It doesn't matter what you think that specific thing you do to a rod that makes the sale might be, it only matters what the customer thinks is special about it. That might be a combination of several things. It definitely includes the quality of your workmanship.

We've found that an important aspect of providing "value" for our customers is that they can have the rod exactly as they want it - virtually no compromises that they'd have to make with an off-the-shelf rod, no matter what the price. There's a point where price almost doesn't matter, although each customer has a limit - you just have to find it and then work within it. As long as you stay within it, the discussion turns on value, not cost. Yes, there are the customers who want what you make for bragging rights, and in such cases he'll brag about the price - not the value, but the price, because that proves he can spend more than his buddies. And that's a perfect example of the difference between price and value. I've had people tell me they couldn't afford my price, but not one ever said my rods weren't worth my price. Frankly, I'd rather sell a rod to that kind of customer than to the guy with more money than brains.

I think it's no different whether you're buying a custom rod, or a bespoke gun, engarving and all. It's a luxury item. Luxury items by definition are not essentials. But when somebody saves up for a custom rod, bypasssing the off-the-shelf stuff, he has a perception that it's special. Beyond a certain point it's an emotional decision. Trust me, he'll remember the first or biggest fish on it, or even the one he lost on it, right up there with his other trophy memories. Because of the cost? No, because it's special. It's unique. And it's his.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 03:21AM

Russ you hit the nail on the head!! Nobody could have said it better
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 05:29AM

At the risk of sounding trite, the definition of value is what something is worth. Value of a rod to one may mean something less to someone else. One high one low,,, both value.

Posted by: Jan Mikula (58.165.187.---)
Date: April 13, 2007 08:18AM

I bought myself a watch a couple of years ago and it was a very expensive. The thing about it was that I started saving for this watch when I was 5yrs old as my dad had one. I was 32 when I bought it and I used to save $1 here, $10 there and so on. I didn't save for it religiously as the 27yrs of savings can tell. No matter what I needed I never touched that money even when things were very tight during my university days. To me the value of the watch isn't how much it ended up costing, it is valuable to me because every day I look at it and think of all the years I saved and controlled myself from dipping into the savings. It was hard to do but hopefully when I have kids of my own, I can instill in them the importance of what "value" is. I know it doesn't really mean a great deal but that is how i see value,
Cheers,
Jan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster