I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lost, confused and frustrated
Posted by: Justin Poe (---.dhcp.klmt.or.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2007 02:00PM

I will start off by saying that I am far from computer savy. I have tried to search for topics that might help me so that I could avoid posting a message like this and look like an idiot and frustrate others. But, the volume of information is difficult for me to wade through and I am not sure that I am using the feature and/or the key words correctly.

Last year I decided to get into rod building and bought a set-up from a friend. Last night I finally took the plunge and begun building my first rod. I noticed that there is a lot of tools/equipment that render me rather clueless as too their use and/or application. I am sure that I will figure out what all the doohickies are over time (I hope) and be able to use them.

1.) Are a power wrapper and a lathe the same thing?
The complete rod builders lathe from Dale Clemens Custum tackle (Dayton-AC/DC motor-115 volts-1/15 HP- 5000 RPM) and instruction manual came w/ the purchase.

2.) I used 3 different methods to find the spine. Each method seemed to give me two locations for the spine. The blank would roll over into one of two positions that seemed to be 180 degrees apart (top and bottom). Am I doing something wrong or is this common?

3.) Would it be possible to create a area on this site for beginners that would aid in preventing posts like this and wasting others valuable time? Or am I an idiot that did not see that something like that is there already?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lost, confused and frustrated
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 02:20PM

Justin - up at the top of the page there is a FAQ section you can click

[www.rodbuilding.org]

my method for spine, and those that I learned from, is to ignore the "spine" and build along the straightest axis/edge of the rod.

lastly, we all were new and had questions as one time and I surely don't mine helping out somebody with a question (if I can)

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 02:25PM

Justin just e-mail if you have a question, if i can't answer it i bet i can find someone who can

Paul Lindsey
soonercustrod@sbcglobal.net

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 12, 2007 02:40PM

Justin,
Don't ever be hesitant about posting a question here. we were all in your shoes at one time or another and you will get plenty of help. Your e-mail address is hidden. If you unhide it, I will send you some stuff that might hep you (Click on MY CONTROL CENTER at the top of message list/Edit e-mail settings and enter and verify your e-mail.

Power wrapper and ROD lathe are the same thing, just different terms. Don't confuse with Wood lathe though. As far as spine goes, I would not even concern myself with it and build to the straightest axis of the blank.

You might want to invest $15 and get the book, Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman from one of the vendors to the left. Also scour through the FAQ's, Glossary, Library and Photo pages above and use the Search function as posts here are never removed and there is a tremendous amount of info available there. Read the ANNOUNCEMENT post at the top regarding the Photo Page as separate registration is required.

Feel free to holler anytime mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 04:28PM

Justin,
I just bought a book titled Rod-Building Guide by Tom Kirkman from Mud Hole Tackle. There are other sponsors at the left that handle the book also. I have learned a lot from this book. It's not my first time around the block on building a rod but this book will point you in the right direction. You're right, there are a lot of tools and jigs that you will learn about as time goes on.But this board has a lot of very informed and experienced people that are very willing to share their knowledge and experiences with whom ever asks. So don't be shy!!! I have gleaned a vast amount of knowledge from this board and am still amazed on how it keeps coming.
Thanks
Terry

Posted by: Justin Poe (---.dhcp.klmt.or.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2007 06:16PM

I followed (tried) the advise posted by Mr. Barkley about changing settings at the control center. But the system won't allow me or I am not able to figure out how to change the settings. I tried to enter a new email address which asks for a verification code that I cannot find. Is there someone I can contact that could guide me through the process of getting all of the acount information correct? The email address that I use is jwp-30@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Also Mr. Kirkmans book is referenced and recommended constantly on this site so I decided to order the book last night.

Thank you for the advise.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: April 12, 2007 07:23PM

Justin,,When you go into the photo section, use the same name and password that you used to post your question here on the forum. That way you don't have to remember two of them. Follow Mr. Barkley's advice, I pick his brain all the time !! He is a top knotch computer man and Rod Builder. You will meet some fine and knowledgeable people on here. Believe me , they are the best !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2007 09:47PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 13, 2007 01:24AM

Justin, You're OK your e-mail address is no longer hidden although it's not the one that you put in your post. If you click on your name in your post, it will show you. Not sure how you would change to a different address, you might want to shoot Tom Kirman an e-mail at rodmaker@earthlink.net
I just sent you an e-mail to bluecollarfishing@charter.net <[email protected]>

Hang in there!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Justin Poe (---.coreds.net)
Date: April 13, 2007 10:12AM

Thank you and I will contact Mr. Kirkman today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster