I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Working With Crocodile Skin.......
Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 06:45AM

Good Morning Gentlemen.....
Had a request for a rod, that has crocodile skin on the handle and foregrip....I have worked with rattlesnakes skins...but not croc skin.....
Just wanted to know,if there is anything special I need to do.....it is much thicker than snakeskins...and I have sanded it down some......
Appreciate any input.........
Thank You......
MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Working With Crocodile Skin.......
Posted by: Martin Livingstone (---.ergo.coreds.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 10:12AM

Watch out for the teeth

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 11, 2007 10:43AM

Can't help you but I sure hope that you post pix of it!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: April 11, 2007 11:12AM

If it is anything like some leather that I've been playing with, it isn't going to give you much room for error since there isn't much stretch. Measure several times before cutting, and when you do cut, because of the thickness, it helps to cut at a slight angle (so the visible side is "longer" than the bottom) for a better seam.

Looking forward to what you do with it cuz I have an idea for gator skin that I want to try sometime.

Posted by: Joe Emig (---.224.201.195.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 11:17AM

MaryLou, I have found that the more leathery skins like ostrich leg, frog, lizard and alligator tend to absorb some finish before it sets up, especially along the cut edges. This can result in a splotchy look. Where the finish soaks in a little, the skin is darker. I saturate the underside of the skin first to evenly wet it. The skin will be a lot darker but it will be an even color. I should have mentioned I use flexible CA to wet the skins, but color preserver may work as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2007 12:08PM by Joe Emig.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: April 11, 2007 11:52AM

MaryLou Hi:
Don't know for sure but in that case maybe a thread color sealer may work before the clear ?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 11, 2007 12:16PM

Hi MaryLou,

Pat Vinzant sent me a tutorial on how he does his Snake Skins. He uses U-40 ColorLock as the glue. You may want to contact him to see if he has any suggestions. Then again he may see this and chime in.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Herbert P. Vinzant (---.207-68.elmore.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2007 06:36PM

Snake Skins will normally have more stretch than reptile skins that are heavier. Joe is correct about the discoloration of the skins and having a bloc hey appearance. This problem can be lessened if you use a color preserver similar to U40 color loc and really saturate the skin and apply multiple coats. The color preserver generally allows the skins to stretch. Please let us know the results.

Take care
Pat

Pat Vinzant, Wetumpka AL

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 08:16PM

Many Thanks Everyone.....
I am looking forward to building this rod.....and will take all your advice into consideration......I will post the results when it is finished !!!
Thank you all for the input !!

MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster