I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Gimbal?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 10, 2007 11:54AM

Building a Tuna rod on a Calstar 7465M to be used with a newer Avet 30, or an Accurate with some numbers I can't remember, lol. I'm not sure which gimbal to use, a regular one, or a Radiused one. I do not do this type of fishing very much, adn I'm trying to put the right stuff on teh rod without screwing it up too much.

The 7465M is a great blank, I'm just not sure where to put the striipper guide. I've got a HBSG 25 on tehre, and the line doesn't even touch it when it comes off teh spool. I know once the rod has a fish on, the line will come close to touching the guide (the bottom 1/2 of this rod DOES NOT bend). I'm just curious for those who have built this rod where did you put the stripper? I actualyl have built this before and I ended up putting an HNSG 20 way out and it worked fine, but I'm thinking there's probably a better way adn if anyone has built/fishined this rod befor eI'd love to hear any feedback/advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Gimbal?
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 10, 2007 01:01PM

Billy, on all of my stand up Sailfish rods I use the American Tackle #4 size. I don't see much benefit in the ones with a radius on them. I usually use foam to build up the area under the gimbal. Hope this helps. Scott

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: April 10, 2007 02:42PM

Hi Billy,
Its been my understanding for years that the radiused gimbals are better on the bigger tuna. It has to do with the "clicking" vibration made by the non-radiused gimbals aggravating them incessantly, as the rod is pumped or short stroked. Could be false but one of the premier builders and innovators of the short standup style rods in San Diego is alot more knowledgeble about this and this is his finding.
Chuck

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2007 03:28PM

Billy looks like you have moved into the world of standups! Is the reel the Pro EXW 30/2 AVE-0004. Don't think that blank will not bend on the back end at 28# drag - a good tuna will bend it deep and a lot more than you will ever figure ahead of time. If you get a really big tuna on the 30 it will be like Jaws - get a bigger reel. The guide placement will also have to do with the length of butt and foregrip as well as the diameter of the foregrip. What has been your selection of rear grip - length and type? The gimbal will need to be correct for the type of butt assembly and harness system you choose to use. Consider spiral wrapping and all will change. Get this one right and you will be a convert - will certainly enjoy the battle - when I hook up with a good tuna now the only three words I can now use are "here hold this"! You of all people should know the value of books! Check the Rodmaker article on standups carefully. Let us all see the wrap you plan on doing in front of the foregrip.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: April 10, 2007 03:58PM

Definitely get the radiused gimbal. It will help on pump and grind, which is the technique for harness fishing the cow yellowfin. Set it up so the radius goes vertical, not sideways.

If you later decide to go rail, then just stick a rubber buttcap on the end of the gimble.

As far as guide configuration, my .02 would be to leave things where they are until you catch a YFT in the 120 lb plus category. A teenager like that will give the rod its true workout. Then figure out where you want to take it from there.

If rewrapping, I'd go with the #25, the stripper is, after all a gathering guide, and you may at some point want to put a 50 on that blank, so you will appreciate the height. I use a #24 or larger on all ring guided rods where greater than 40 lb line will be used.

There's all sorts of sexy alternatives, but unless you have the foundation laid correctly, they are probably not much help. IMO, just focus on basics for now, and go gettem!

Whit

Posted by: Jerry Griffin (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2007 04:06PM

Billy, Here are the specs on the factory built 7465M's. The rear grip is 13" including a GC25 gimbal. The seat is a DPSH 26. Foregrip is 14" and the 1st guide, a BL 25 is directly in front of the grip, putting the ring about 20" from the center of the seat. The Cajun is right regarding the gimbal - find out what harness/belt setup is going to be used and go from there.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2007 05:01PM

Jerry I was going to wait and see how he was going to do one of them Spider Thingys over the top of the first guide - It ought to be a sight to behold!

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2007 08:55PM

I use the radius. But I also put the radius on the horizontal just for kicks on one rod and liked it..

I also like long foregrips and keep the stripper guide on those close to it just so it doesn't touch the grip.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 11, 2007 09:05AM

I had no problem with the grips & lengths, 20" from the end of the butt to teh beginning of the foregrip, and a 13" foregrip. Pac Bay channel lock seat. I did some static deflecting and put teh HBSG 25 at about 25 inches from the center of the reel seat. The rod is goggn to be used for both fishign the rail on party boats, as well as fishing from a small private/charter boat. This is not going to be wrapped spiral.

I'm gonna play and make sure the line doesn't hit the foregrip...with the hieght of teh guide & teh line coming off the reel, I think I'm good where the guide is at now, but I'm gonna double check. I hate building rods for types of fishing I don't do.

As far as the wrap, it's going to be the same old routine I always do, lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster