I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank selection
Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 08, 2007 01:56PM

I want to build a rod for vertical white bass fishing. I will be using 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs, 4 or 6 (and rarely 8) lb test line, in 15 to 25 feet of water. I am leaning toward a St Croix 4S60LF. I am also considering a 4S63MXF but fear it might be too much rod for the size fish (1 to 2 1/2 lbs) I normally pursue. Any input or other suggestions will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank selection
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: April 08, 2007 02:13PM

Don,
I think either would work, the 63MXF was designed for walleyes which are basically a log with fins once you hook one. I'm probably in trouble for that.
I think your White bass would still get your attention on that blank and it would be a dandy for skipping tubes and such around docks and for spots and largemouth when you get the urge.

Re: blank selection
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: April 08, 2007 09:01PM

Don,

When I go spooning here in Arizona I have a fishing rod I build and sell to a lot of my customers. I have mostly built them on 98 % graphite blanks as I don't need the sensitivity as I always have my finger on the fishing line. But anyway my overall length of these rods are 4'10'' yes you read it right. You see I fish from a bass boat and have my tranducer on the trolling motor on the front of the boat and what I have found is that you can't fish with long rods on the front of the boat that well. I go out and first find out where the center of my tranducer is in 20', 30', 40', 50', 60' an also find out what the outside area's are on the tranducer. I hope I am explaining tthis clearly to you. Anyway I found that using a short rod I can keep my spoon in the circle of my tranducer and in the most suitiable strike zone. My rods have some tip action but plenty of back bone to set the hook. I use 6lb up 12lb test line depending on what application the fish want from me. So you can take any blank on the market and make it into your jig or spooning rod. If you want to talk more to me about this type of fishing feel free in call me and I would love to tell you how to go about it. Also I should mention these rods are all spinning rods as they seem to be more comfortable to fish with for over 12 hours on the water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster