I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting guides leading line to close to blank?
Posted by: Audun Lange (---.84-48-161.nextgentel.com)
Date: April 07, 2007 06:01PM

I recently bought a blank for salmon/steelhead (rainshadow 10'6), a casting guide for the set, and all the other stuff needed.
The casting guide set (Fuji Alconite Blnag 169), which should be appropriate for the setup, seems to me as to guiding the line very close to the blank. Especially the smallest guides, to be used close to the tip, has no foot, only a frame. When casting/retrieving the rod will surely flex sideways, where this will be of no importance, but when playing fish/mother earth, the flex of the rod will surely let the line touch the blank - maybe even let the line cross the blank.
Is this a potential matter, or is this neglectable given there is no frictional spots where the line passes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting guides leading line to close to blank?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 07, 2007 08:40PM

Adun if you will read the "Flippin Rod" thread which is just below this one on the board you will see some comments that will apply. If you use the BLNAG and end the rod with the BLAG Fly guides you will have a very hard time keeping the line on top of the blank unless you use a large number of the guides. The solutions to the problem are use a spiral wrap, a different set of guides with a higher guide frame or simply do not worry about line touching blank. Personally I would spiral wrap that rod and use the Fuji guides.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2007 08:54PM

I wouldn't worry about the line coming close to the blank, or even perhaps touching it, but you'd not want it to pass down below the blank between any pair of guides.

How many many guides does your guide set have? You'll need a minimum of 11 if not 12 to do the job reasonably well.

Posted by: Darin Travis (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2007 09:49PM

I had to use 12 guides on a 1263 rainshadow, with a spiral wrap (not including bumper guide), nice fast action blank. I don't want to know how many guides it would take to keep the line above it with a conventional wrap and low frame guides. I totally agree with Bill on the spiral wrap. Casts better IMO, eliminates rod twist.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2007 09:58PM

I'd also go with a spiral wrap, but in the event that you don't, lower frame guides will reduce any tendency to twist but will require more guides than if you used higher guides. In the end, more but lower and smaller guides may actually weigh less than higher and heavier guides, so don't let the number of guides worry too much.

Pay attention to the article in the library section here on guide spacing. Remember than as the load increases it will pass down the rod onto the beefier and stronger mid and butt sections and the tip area will flatten out. I think that sometimes guys stack too many guides in areas that won't need them once the load moves further down the rod. That's why I recommend loading the rod in 3 stages.

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2007 10:55PM

I have built several 10'6" Rainshadows and have not had any problem with the line touching or intersecting the blank. I use 1 forecast UD style then finish with the F style guides with size 6 or 7 being the smallest. It should take 11 to 12 guides in total. When you do a static test check your rod angle to make sure you are not high sticking. Then adjust to fill any flat spots.

Posted by: Audun Lange (---.84-48-161.nextgentel.com)
Date: April 08, 2007 05:18AM

Thanks for useful responses!
I think I'll try a static test approach with around 12 guides. It's true the tip flattens out when the rod is heavy loaded, with the bend more mid-sectioned, where guides have some distance from rod.
The spacing chart I have for the IST1266 is for ten guides. If anyone have a setup with more guides for this rod, it would be appreciated.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2007 08:51AM

I just looked at all the guide frames and there is a significant difference in height. The Batson, Amtak and Pac Bay single foot fly guides are higher that the Fuji fly in all cases. They are almost as high as the Fuji double foot. The real departure is the Fuji fly 7 and 6s which has no elevation to the frame - they are bent right at the ring. I actually think this is a production flaw as you can look closely and see where the shape of the frame intended the bend to be - the foot of the seven and sixes is really too long as well. If you intend to use the BNLAG guides all the way out you will have a little height but sure a lot of wrapping that is really not necessary. If you do stay conventional I believe it will be in your best interest in getting some differenct height and style guides for that rod blank. Did the guide chart tell you what height and style guides were used for that spacing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster