I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Fly Rod
Posted by: Tom Knapp (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: April 07, 2007 11:42AM

I wonder if anyone out there can help me out. I've had a fiberglass fly rod for about 40 years and would like to learn as much as I can about it. It is a gold colored rod 9 ft long. There is an oval label that says Spin-Line Co.; Gold Medallion; Muskegon, Mich. and that's the only identification it has. I used it once or twice in the mid 1960's but didn't actively fly fish until about 1996 so, obviously, it's been in storage a long time. It had a Shakespeare automatic reel at one time. Can any of you tell me anything about that company or how to identify the line it is designed to cast?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Tom Knapp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Fly Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2007 11:47AM

The Çommon Cents System can measure the rod's relative power from which you can get a pretty good idea what line will work well on it at a prescribed distance. See the link in the upper left of the sponsor column.

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that rod or company. Perhaps someone else can help out.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: April 07, 2007 12:13PM

were exactly are you located Tom i live in muskegon michigan theres no numbers or anything else on the rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2007 12:15PM by Robert crabtree.

Date: April 07, 2007 02:29PM

I live in Lakeville, MN. The rod looks like it came from Muskegon, MI and there are no markings on it other than the mfr's label.

Date: April 07, 2007 02:31PM

Tom,

Thanks for steering me to the Common Cents site.

Date: April 07, 2007 04:02PM

the rod is a little before my time........but i can ask around and see if i can find anything out im kind of curios now to see if it was a company and maybe find some litarature on them......

Date: April 08, 2007 10:24AM

Robert,

I don't think the company is in business under "Spin-Line Co" but wonder if it was absorbed by some larger rod manufacturer still in the area. The rod originally belonged to my uncle who probably bought it to fish in the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac or Patapsco Rivers in Maryland and I got it around 1967. So, it's pretty dated. It's probably the technology of the 1960's but it has on small diameter stripping guide and only 4 snake guides on a 9' blank. It is gold in color and has gold foil wrapped by gold thread on the ferrule and guides.

Thanks for your interest,

Tom

Date: April 08, 2007 12:10PM

there is no rod factory anywhere around here kind of cool learn something everyday on here . i was never aware of any either of coarse im only 28.......so its a little before my time

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.direcpc.com)
Date: April 08, 2007 03:26PM

To start, get into the ballpark with the CCS numbers, but remember that most fly rods can cast a range of line weights. Then, find a group of friends who fly fish and cast as many line weights and shapes close to the central CCS rating as you can find and pick which ever works best for you!

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: April 09, 2007 09:15AM

Start with a 7 wt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster