I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

travel spin/cast tarpon light salt or musky blank recommendations
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 07, 2007 11:36AM

I'm looking for a general purpose 3 or 4 piece light saltwater or musky blank.

(those who saw my L844-2 post, this is another presentation to see if I can get any more hook ups)

I want it to be my all around travel rod for everything between 12-20lb line though it will probably mostly get 15 or 20. I'll troll cuda tubes, rapala magnums, and throw a variety of lighter musky lures(mostly spinners), scudders, etc. Live bait sails or stripe marlin.

must take abuse including rod holders and my laziness & clumsiness.

Spencer recommended the The Rainshadow IC847-3. St Croix used to do the tidewater line but I don't see that in their catalog. I have an old loomis l844-2 but I don't see a 3 or 4 piece alternative.

thanks for your help

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: travel spin/cast tarpon light salt or musky blank recommendations
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2007 12:05PM

Definitely Rainshadow ...

SB843-3, 7'0", 10-17# - RX6
SB845-3, 7'0", 12-25# - RX6
IC847-3, 7'0", 12-25# - RX7

One of those should do nicely.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: April 07, 2007 01:32PM

I have a IC847-3 out there that has been all over North and South America. Lose track of all the fish it's seen. I know he's caught musky, pike, peacock bass, all species of salmon, smaller tarpon, snook, largemouth bass, catfish, and who knows what else on it. He says he packs it with him every trip no matter where it is and for what purpose just in case. He's on his second reel with the rod. Using a Cabo PT now and carries multiple spools for different lines.

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 08, 2007 03:10PM

Hi Jay
Check out my 7 ft. Tusk 4 pc Musky (Spin or casting) it is very light in weight but extreme strong.
It is with the MSC blanks.
Best Regards Mark Crouse- The munich rod man
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com or on the left "the Rod shop"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster