I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Candy Apple Questions
Posted by: Jake Smulkowski (---.natnow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2007 08:24PM

First off, I wanted to thank you all for providing me with a great way to spend my work breaks every day! I really appreciate all the information I have picked up here. Thanks especially to Tom, for everything you do.

I've been messing with the "candy apple" effect...I've never done underwraps before. I recognize that using a larger diameter thread on top of a smaller diameter thread should stop the overwrap from cutting into the underwrap. What if I want to have a rod done (for a gift) and only have size A thread? Would a coat or two of CP over the metallic underwrap provide sufficient resistance to the overwrap (after drying of course)?

I am very impressed with the look, but I always seem to get a few threads pinching through, especially at the ends of the wraps. I tried an olive green over gold as well as an olive green over silver. Beautiful!

Thanks again,
Jake Smulkowski
Moscow, ID

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Candy Apple Questions
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: April 06, 2007 08:32PM

I use A on top of A all the time, but normally use a coat or two of Permaglos on top of my underwrap. I used to use a coat of epoxy, but like the thinner coats of Permaglos.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 06, 2007 09:29PM

Aside from using CP (it helps), turn the rod around in the wrapper and overwrap going the other way, if that makes sense. Works for me.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 07, 2007 12:18AM

I would go with William Bartlett's suggestion.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: April 07, 2007 01:07AM

That would work if you wrapping on a hand wrapper but not on a lathe.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 07, 2007 01:31AM

I just reverse my motor and slide my leth to the othere side of my work table. Most wrapers do not use the power system when doing a candy apply or under wrap. They hand wrap under thread, then flip the rod so they can power wrap the top thread.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: April 07, 2007 09:21AM

I use a thin silver mylar tape as an underwrap. It's very thin and weighs almost nothing. Then I wrap red over that and finish without color preserver. It gives a nice candy apple effect. I think you can still get the mylar from anybody who handles Merrick's products or even many fly fishing shops. That's where I got my last roll.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: April 09, 2007 05:23AM

I like the Mylar sheets, but always run into wrinkles, no matter how smooth I start out. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster