I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod action for less dense lures
Posted by: Timothy O'Neill (216.75.132.---)
Date: April 05, 2007 05:07PM

I have always been interested in the relationship between action and the ability of a rod to get a decent distance with a certain lure. Right now, I fish with some rapala j-9s and j-11s, and am wondering what is a good rod for casting them? I generally like longer rods 7'6" and up. What about actions? Is fast or slow best for such light, low density lures?

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod action for less dense lures
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2007 06:13PM

I'd think matching the power of the rod to the lure weight is the most important thing. Action would be secondary and probably lies in what you prefer. Fast action rods generally are able to cast a bit wider range of lure weights than medium action rods. Personally, I'd go with a very fast action light tipped rod for what you're doing. But that's just me.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 05, 2007 07:38PM

Wow, ... For low-density, high air-resistance lures, that need to be cast a fairly long distance… I'd go "Whippy", IMO, ... Overload the rod power a bit, or at least work at the upper end of the rod blank's lure range, and use a softer tip / action-taper. I'd also use a longer rod blank (7-ft), and hang out up to 2+ feet of line between the rod tip and lure when casting. (Like a fly rod's logic. More linear velocity [lure] per degree of angular momentum [rod].) That seems to give the lure more time in a longer arc to turn right into the cast before the line is released. Less flubbing and fluttering, it seems. ...

This may not work for you (others), but it seems to work for me. Not in all situations, but those where the luxury of a wide-open casting field, and a clear over-head or side-arm swing (like in the surf or on an open lake) is available, and where casting accuracy is not critical. ...

If you are fishing in tight quarters, and have a small target area, and need landing control, ask the bass pros - that ain't me. A short 6' rod (stiff) with a fast action, well within the rod's lure range, like TK said, sounds like it would work better than a whip. -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2007 07:44PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (128.163.110.---)
Date: April 06, 2007 08:49AM

well i agree with the slower action rod. If you look at manufactured rods specially designed for crankbaits they have a medium fast action at best. Some are even slower, But for casting larger cranks i would go with a 7' or a 7'6'' depending on where you're fishing em. if its just for bass i wouldn't go for more than 7' seems to get in the way and cause more problems that they're worth for the added length.

But use a low profile reel slightly bigger guides and really try to load the rod on the back cast and you'll do fine. I built a crankin rod on a a Graphite USA blank and used the AMTAK holographic guides and put an abu REVO STX on it...casts like a dream.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster