I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Master
Posted by: Larry Salter (---.35-65.eufaula.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 09:44AM

I've had problems with this since I started useing it when andy 1st brought it on the market, but I think I'm at my wits end. PLEASE help. My problem is I put Theard Master on then wait until its dry normaly over nite then I get up and put on a decal, then wait 24 hours sometimes less, then I lightly buff up with scotch bright, (if I don't use scotch bright it will not stick)then put on the last coat and I still have problem with it adhering to the 1st coat. The only way I can get it to work is to put no 2 coats within 6 or so hours of each other.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Master
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 09:50AM

Larry I have applied decals to thread master in 12 hours sometimes less allow the decal to dry for 4 hours and apply the top coat of TM i don't use any solutions on the decals never had a problem, here is the thing with decals 24 hours is the point where any decal applied will be completley dry so 24 hours is the suggested waiting time but in reality all that is needed is a dry decal which can be as quick as 1hour possibly less depending on conditions
John

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 09:53AM

LArry, I have no idea what you are talking about. What does "it doesn't stick" mean? I use it on my underwraps, and often don't do the overwraps for months later and never had a problem with it "sticking". Nor have I had thi sproblem with any other finish that I've used.

FWIW, TM "sticks" to blanks better than any other epoxy finish. Anyone who has tried to cut off a guide wrap coated with TM and no CP will probably agree.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2007 10:50AM

When you say it "doesn't stick," do you mean that it's repelled, or that if you let if set and cure the top layer actually peels off?

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 11:43AM

Larry,
You told me 6 months ago that you had this problem fixed????? If you'll go back and serach the archives I have outlined many times that ThreadMaster dries much harder, slicker and shinier than other finishes, so you can't wait the normal 24-48 hours to apply subsequent coats. 24 hours is really on the outside of what's allowable. By the time you let it dry overnight, apply the decal and wait another 24 hours, you've waited way too long, and the first coat will now possibly repel the second coat because it is so shiny and slick. The depth of image and gloss is what everyone loves about the finish, but it also means you have to be willing to apply the second coat a bit quicker.

Like John says the decal really only needs to dry about 4 hours.

Tom, FYI, Larry means it repels the second coat.

Andy Billy is correct, ThreadMaster adheres better than any other finish to itself and to the blank. Once it cures and has dried, it's a bear getting it back off.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 12:33PM

I always put a second coat of TM withi 4-6 hours but wait around 12-14 hrs before putting on my waterslide decal. After applying my decal I VERY SELDOM wait more than 15 minutes to apply TM over the decal. I have been doing it that way ever since I started using decals from Decal Connection and have never run into a problem with any of the rod finishing epoxies on the market. I think waiting 24 hours before applying a second coat of finish or waiting 24 hours to coat over a decal is one of rodbuildings biggest myths.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 12:50PM

Lance fess up all de wa! Tell em you don use no Micro Sol either - - huh! Folks he got a smooooth finger 2 pres em flat wif!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 01:10PM

I just spoke with Larry....problem solved.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.35-65.eufaula.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 01:37PM

Think I got it now

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 05:25PM

Whats the deal on waiting before applying finish over a decal? I just dont get it......I slap the decal over the Threadmaster and lay a new coat of TM over the decal within minutes.

DR

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 05:30PM

I have to admit, I've not heard about applying a second coat before 24 hours. I know I've done a couple of second coats of TM a couple of days later and have had no problems with the 2nd coat peeling.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 07:15PM

Todd, It doesn't peel,
What it does is repel the second coat while it's still wet...in other words right after you apply it, the second coat will "bead up" much like water on a car that has been waxed. Obviously the effect is not that severe, but that's the best analogy I can think of. It's one of the drawbacks of having a finish with a VERY high depth of image, and such a high gloss rating....well it's not really a drawback, more of an artifact of process. Just be sure you apply subsequent coats within 24 hours....if you can't, scuff it with Scotchbrite and you're good to go.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2007 07:31PM

I'm with DR. Never had a problem doing it this way, yet I have had problems when I waited to long.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 08:47PM

I you apply MicroSol and MicroSet how long do you wait before applying TM?

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2007 11:43PM

As soon as it's dry. About 30 minutes.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: April 06, 2007 07:44AM

Thanks Andy. Good to know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster