I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lathe question
Posted by: Robert Pascal (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 04:46PM

hello all,

I recently purchased a jet mini lathe and am getting ready to experiment with wood handles and reel seats. I have noticed however that the lathe makes a slight squeaking sound when I turn it on. I disengaged the belt and still heard the sound. So my conclusion is its something in the motor. While I'm anxious to get going, I don't want to ruin my new toy. Should I be concerned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe question
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 04:59PM

I'm sure there's a tech support number that came along with the instructions. Why not call them and ask ?

Date: April 04, 2007 10:37PM

Thanks Lance. I had thought about that, but was hoping I could find a quick and easy solution here first. I've spent way too much time on hold lately (someone decided to break into my truck last week). I did end up calling the 800 number and was advised to bring the motor to a service center. Guess I'll just have to wait a little bit longer...

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: April 04, 2007 11:33PM

Better that than any other approach. I don't own the lathe (and am still kicking myself for not getting one at the $180 price at the show) but I've heard the service is pretty good.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.35-65.eufaula.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 09:50AM

When I got mine 2 years ago it did that and I call them and they sent me a new motor and didn't even ask for the old one back. I rebuilt the bad motor now I have a spare

Date: April 05, 2007 04:21PM

The technician convinced me (with a lot of technical, over my head info about DC motors) that it was a normal sound, that it would work fine. The best part is he looked at it on the spot, so I can play with it tonight after getting my truck fixed.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: April 06, 2007 10:03PM

Mine did and does the same thing and I've been using it for a few years. No problems. I think it is coming from the end bearings but really don't know for certain. But it works fine. When it starts making the noise ALL the time then you might have problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster