I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Orvis fly blanks ?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.6.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 06:18AM

Hi Guys - long time
Does Orvis sell blanks ?? Do they make there own, or does some one make them for them ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orvis fly blanks ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2007 10:56AM

Orvis began making their own graphite rod blanks sometime back in the mid 1990's. I don't know if they sell them any longer, but at one time they did. Check with Orvis or one of their dealers. I seem to recall that Angler's Workshop used to sell them. Perhaps they still do.

Posted by: Jason Gist (---.static.gci.net)
Date: April 03, 2007 04:36PM

I looked into getting an Orvis blank about 5 years ago. There was a model I really liked, but unfortunately was not available in a blank. They had a few of their models you could get at that time, but I don't know if they still do or not. The answer I always got was that some were available, most were not. Would be nice to get though, I really like their rods.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: April 04, 2007 11:50AM

Orvis has been making their own graphite blanks in their Vermont factory since at least 1979 when they brought out the "Superfine" series. They don't make all their own rods, but they do make some of them. They sell most of their rods as blanks (though never their latest/greatest), and also some unique components. As with most companies, they don't go out of their way to identify the blanks they make themselves vs. their cheaper imports.

Orvis gets a lot of abuse for being a company that sells way more than fishing rods, but to lump them in with BPS, Cabelas etc. is to ignore history. Orvis has been around the rod business a long time, and they make some really nice rods.

Posted by: Jason Gist (---.static.gci.net)
Date: April 04, 2007 02:15PM

Hey Mike, that is great to hear that you can get their blanks (some) and components. Where might these be available? I checked out Orvis' website and saw nothing on their blanks. They don't even have a rod building section. I've been fishing in a pair of their breathable waders now for about six years, love 'em. About four or five years ago they a rod out that I believe was called the "Trident" model that I tried to get a blank of but never could find one available.

I've always liked the finish Orvis puts on their wraps too. They tend to stay right on the wraps without extending the finish past the threads, and also put on just barely enough to cover the threads. I've always been impressed with the look of those wraps, but never actually done it that way myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2007 02:18PM by Jason Gist.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: April 04, 2007 03:35PM

He's back. Oh my,

Date: April 04, 2007 10:36PM

JK Fisher made all the Orvis graphite rods and blanks until the late 1980's, at least according to the folks at Fisher. I don't think Orvis actually bought any blank making equipment until the late 1980's.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: April 05, 2007 07:43AM

I don't doubt that JK Fisher made blanks for Orvis, I just question whether they made all of them. Ask people in the Orvis rod factory in Vermont and they will tell you that they started making graphite rods in the "Superfine" series in 1979. Perhaps that's a lie, I have no way to know without demanding receipts for mandrels...

I tell you this, I have a Superfine rod I bought from Orvis in 1986, and I have one of the last ones to roll out of their factory a few years ago (before they "improved" them). They are identical to the eye (and very unique with the old-school external ferrules and unsanded finish).

Jason- the best thing to do is to call Orvis and ask. Don't just ask whoever picks up the phone, ask to speak to someone who knows the rods. Then ask what they have available. Last time I checked, which was maybe 3 years ago, they sent me a list of what was available. I ended up with several blanks and some reel seats not available anywhere else.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: April 05, 2007 08:48AM

Hay Billy - be nice ?? Ha Ha

Billy Do you have another book out ? I have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2007 08:54AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 05, 2007 11:03AM

Mike,

I don't know either. But I know the time period when Orvis did buy some equipment for making their own rods and to my knowledge they didn't have any prior to that, but like you I'm only going on what I've been told by people who with the companies involved. It could be that they were in fact making some of their own graphite rods prior to the late 1980's.

It probably doesn't matter for the question at hand, but for rod making history's sake I'm sure somebody would know for sure. I no longer have any idea where the people who were at Fisher are now. I do know a couple people at Orvis but they weren't there in the late 1970's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster