I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Acrylic/ployester/pearl white-if you use it please read
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 02:36PM

There is NO UV protection in some of these pearl rods! Meaning: color changes WILL happen, from the sun, in the white pearl for sure, that was even expected by the makers with that color. The white pearl turns grey after being in the sun a while-not good for a fishing rod. I have two tone rod handles just from yesterdays sun.The lighter pastel colors may also change, no one knows for sure! I am geting a couple small peices of various colors to lay out and test, I'll post the results later. Other guys are doing the same.

They seem to think that all the darker colors of pearl rod would be "ok" and the lighter ones may be trouble, each color can react differently and we wont know until we try them.

To add...one company is going to test some UV stabilizers in the white pearl and see how it goes. IF they get it "right" he is suspose to send me a piece with the UV to try. But this may be a while in happening!

So for all the users of Acrylic/polyester rods for rod handles, you might want to stay away from the pearl white and pastel colors.

Many of these acrylics/polyesters and such are kinda new to rod building and they all deserve the chance to correct problems that may arise from the outdoors. Most everything in the past seems to be geared to INDOOR use and there was never a problem.

I'll get back when I know more.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 03:59PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acrylic/polyester/pearl white-if you use it please read
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 03:53PM

Jim Rippe and I also have test pieces out in the sun right now. I don't think that naming the company/product would in any way be bashing as they never made ANY claims about the product and since they were not aware of the problem as they didn't use it outdoors were as surprised as we were.. The product in question is the POLYESTER Pearl Rods from Masecraft

This is a polyester product and different from the acrylics, celluloids, etc. I'm going to be putting various products out in the sun for testing and will keep you posted as I'm sure Duane and Jim will.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Re: Acrylic/ployester/pearl white-if you use it please read
Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 06:08PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Date: March 29, 2007 07:40PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is the SAME ROD, you can see the top side that the sun see's has turned grey, the bottom is still pearl white.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2007 08:26PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 09:39PM

I just posted two photos of a test I did. Last night after I was contacted, I placed a few pieces outside so the sun would hit them. They were outside just under 24 hours. Looks like the lead from a pencil was smeared on the un-turned piece.

Re: Acrylic/polyester/pearl white-if you use it please read
Date: March 29, 2007 09:54PM

Jim,
Any other colors affected yet?? I have 4 c colors outside now and will check on them tomorrow

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 10:17PM

Jim,would this be the same material as the handle in Rodmaker???

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: March 29, 2007 10:28PM

I have some out also....we'll see how it goes.

My guess? is that ALL the colors will change, the darker the product, the less you'll notice the change, the lighter, the more drastic. I'll have a purple one out on the river all day tomorrow with a blue bird day in store....I hope it stays semi purple! LOL Like I told Jim in an email, I figure that the darker colors will just loose their "prettyness" and sheen that they once had.

DR

Date: March 29, 2007 11:27PM

Fred, it sure is. This rod turned out so pretty it may never see the light of day. LOL. This is disappointing but I will figure something out. Mike, I only put out what I had. White and black pearl. No affect on the black pearl so far.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.100.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 11:34PM

Thanks for the scoop, DR, but bummer on your grips. That was a sweet looking setup. The material really looks kind of cool after the sun hit it, but is @#$%& that your overall theme doesn't flow now. But with such a drastic change after just one outing, I'm more concerned with the material itself. Do you think it is a color change only, or do you think the material is actually deteriorating?

I'd be interested to know what you guys find out with this. Every so often while it's out in the weather, maybe do a "hardness" test to see if it is flaking or turning powdery, something like that? I've seen some nylon based material do this, where after exposure to sunlight, it quickly turned into something that could be "sanded" with fingertips. Hopefully it is only a color problem.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: March 30, 2007 01:42AM

I looked at your pics. It's really too bad the handles changed so much, would have never thought anything could change that fast. Thanks for posting though... definitely won't try it myself anytime soon.

Posted by: Rodger Palmer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 09:56AM

Holy Mackrel Andy!!!........Thanks for the heads up...I have several inserts partly turned of various colors. Guess they won't be put on any rods until we figure out how to UV protect this stuff. Wonder if a clearcoat w/ UV inhibitors would work. RP

Date: March 30, 2007 10:14AM

Roger,

Are your inserts turned from the Masecraft polyester rods??? This problem is only encountered with them.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Rodger Palmer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:35AM

Mike...The partially turned inserts are from the 7/8 square stock from Craft Supplies. I have some stock from Masercraft that I haven't played with yet. EVERYTHING is out on the patio table getting a good dose of sunlight... I'll let you know what happens...Rodge

Date: March 30, 2007 11:12AM

I've been using the 7/8" stock that you have for a couple years. No problems so far. Different material! It's only been a day and a half but so far the on;y color that I have out that has been affected is the White Pearl rod from Masecraft

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 12:57PM

DR that's to bad about the grips they looked great and to have something like that happen to it after one day is a shame. Thanks for the heads up though Mark.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 30, 2007 02:16PM

Thanks for posting that DR, that was very thoughtful. You may have just saved a bunch of builders a lot of anguish.

Date: March 30, 2007 07:19PM

I just posted another photo of a new test I did. It's not perfect but it's looking better.

Date: March 30, 2007 08:03PM

Thats what this board if for guys, ALL OF US TO LEARN from one another, you are MOST welcome. I'm just glad it was my personal rod and not someone elses, ya know? I love the acrylic/polyester and there's no way I'm gonna stop using it, but I WILL test each acrylic/poly and let the sun do what it wants to do before it ever hits a rod blank.

My rod cant be saved, I hope Jim can save his as time pass's and we try and get this thing figured out.

I took my rod out again today and the grips are nearly BLACK now. I'm going to prop it out in the sun reel side UP and try and get both sides even and I may change my marbling on the split, forgrip and guides to make the overall rod more appealing. It hasn't harmed the CTS blank, so it can be saved :-)

DR

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: March 31, 2007 01:58AM

Man, what a bummer. If it's only the white pearl, hopefully they can come up with a solution. Those grips really popped, and it @#$%& that the colour scheme is broken up. However, from the pics, it now looks like black pearl, which also looks cool.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster