I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread master coats
Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 06:29AM

I was wondering how many coatrs of threadmaster you guys use on a rod. I have been doing one to two on guides and two to threeon butt wrap but it seems to be a little too thick. I would like to get away with one and two respectivly but will it be enough. Incedently i still use a brush and finish with a spatula. Let me know the consensive of what you guys use if your threadmaster fans like me. I tried them all and swear by it for non yellowing and clearity just have to get the thickness right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread master coats
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 08:53AM

I'm in the same boat as you Billy. It takes me two on the guides three on the wraps. It may be just me though so I'm curious if any one is able to get it in 1 on the guides and 2 on the wraps. MB

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 08:59AM

I put mine on with a spatula, as little as possible. Turn by hand SLOWLY, and wick iff excess from the bottom with a coffee fliter.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2007 09:17AM

I've pretty much always been a one-coat man with most of the regular build epoxies. I would use two on very heavy saltwater rods but that's about it.

Once the epoxy is deep enough that you cannot feel the threads with a thumbnail raked across them, additional finish isn't really doing anything for you other than adding more weight. And it can add more weight than you think, particulary in terms of overall percentage on the very light rods. On heavier rods it's not an issue and can help to provide a bit more protection from abrasion on charter boats and that sort of thing.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: March 29, 2007 09:21AM

one coat.... i put a lot on then wick off excess til i get a nice light coating. I can normally get it so that the threads are nicely covered with one coat. every now and then I have a few areas that do not have sufficient coating and i put a VERY thin second coat over the area. For butt wraps, etc. I can see putting one coat on, sanding to even it, then one more very thin coat.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 29, 2007 09:44AM

I do one SOMETIMES two but not often. Have no idea on heavy salt rods though!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Paul Gerdtz (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 31, 2007 07:55AM

hey billy
it depends on your aplication i use one coat on guides and maybe two on wrap depends on how bumpy tou want the finnish
i like a smooth finish with little lumps

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 31, 2007 10:27AM

Paul,

I'm really curious about what you mean by "bumpy" and "little lumps" Never heard of "lumps" in finish before

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster