I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pearsall's Gossamer versus Gudebrod white with no CP.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2007 09:22PM

I'm going to build on a Batson titanium chrome XST blank with chrome Alconites. I'm chicken to do a threadless wrap so would the Gudebrod white thread with no Cp give me that transaparent look or should I go with Pearsall's Gossamer thread instead? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pearsall's Gossamer versus Gudebrod white with no CP.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2007 10:57PM

The Gudebrod won't totally disappear, or at least not as much as the Gossamer silk with varnish on it will. If you want the least visible thread, I'd stick with the silk.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 04:16AM

i'd go with silk too. i tried white A thread once and the wraps came out splotchy (part my inexperience with aplying finish) but the few places it came out the best, it still was visible. it was used on the older teal colored forecast series of blanks. mine ended up looking kind of like masking tape. ugh.

i hear gossamer is very fine and can be difficult to work with for the first time, especially when the smallest you've used is nylon A size. some bamboo guys recommend using pearsalls naples sized thread. it's a bit easier to work with and being silk and still much thinner than A, you can get that invisable look. i have yet to try it though. naples is supposedly thinner than gudebrod's version of silk. i think goldenwitch has a chart comparing thread sizes including the silks and nylons at their site.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 29, 2007 08:51AM

Pearsalls gossamer, followed by Flex Coat light. The thread will be as close to invisible as you can get- but you have to be really careful to get bubble out from along the guide feet or they will be very, very visible.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.156.54.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2007 10:51PM

Gossamer is closely akin to spider web, Gudebrod to anchor rope. I think YLI 100 (3/0 to guys used to Americon thread sizing) is a good choice for ease of use and good appearance. Flex coat works great on it as does Threadmaster, or so I've been told.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster