I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss on SCV finish
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 28, 2007 07:38AM

I did a search but can't find that post where someone was asking about this a few weeks ago. The person wanted to know if Permagloss would remove or damage the SCV finish. I just finished building the SCV 5F866.4. I used Permagloss on the thread wraps and on the inscription area. I had no smearing or removal of the SCV finish. I did not use the St. Croix label but made the inscription instead with white rapidograph ink (Koh-I-Noor brand). I went directly over the top of the rapidograph ink with Permagloss and even that did not smear. These results somewhat surprised me but I'm obviously happy about it. I was fully prepared to strip the entire blank down to bare graphite if I had a problem but it looks first class all the way.

Anyway, just wanted to report this experience in case there's still interest or questions about this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss on SCV finish
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 28, 2007 08:44AM

Hey Steve,
I thought that PG was so hot it would cut into anything. You wrote directly over the ink? Do you find the rapidograph ink in craft stores like Hobby Lobby? Koh-I-Noor reminds me of my old engineering days!

Date: March 28, 2007 08:48AM

Marty, like I said I was surprised that I didn't have problems but felt like throwing caution to the wind so to speak. Yes, I wrote the inscription with the rapidograph and brilliant white ink. I bought my rapidograph a couple years ago at Michael's craft store. I let the ink dry for 24 hours before hitting it with the PG.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2007 10:11AM

i have been working pretty heavy with Perma Gloss and my use of waterslides with it just do not work. Thanks for the information. I think I have an old Rapid-O-Graph in the attic in a box with a Post Slide Rule. It will be fifty years old! I now hope I can steady my hands to write!

Date: March 28, 2007 10:38AM

Bill, it was Matt Davis from this board that put me onto the Rapidograph a couple years ago. I'd had one from school that I used for labeling my bug specimens in an aquatic entomology course. The black ink doesn't run even when it gets submerged in a vial filled with 90% ethanol. It turned out that my old rapidograph was dried up and clogged and I had to buy a new one. I hope you have better luck. They work nicely and if you lay off the coffee beforehand, just about anyone can make a neat inscription with the fine tip.

Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: March 28, 2007 12:27PM

I may have posted here on a similar issue. I used U-40 Ferrule Lube on an SC-V rod. it damaged the finish on the rod in a real hurry! I used Permagloss on that rod as well as another without an incident related to the Permagloss though.

Date: March 28, 2007 01:28PM

I remember a couple years ago reading about the issue with U-40 Ferrule Lube on the SCV finish - might well have been your post. That's what made me assume the finish was delicate and I think a lot of builders have that impression of the SCV. I've built a few SCVs but always used epoxy finish on them not wanting to take a chance with the PG. But it's interesting to know that you did NOT have a problem with PG either. Good to know that I didn't just get lucky. The SCV sure have an attractive look to them. I love the way mine turned out. Used Garnet 206 without CP and 2 coats of PG.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster