I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weaving with madeira question
Posted by: Daniel Burney (67.135.14.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 04:18PM

is madeira rayon the same as madeira polyneon? some of my rayon weaves turned translucent while applying cp and you can see the wrap threads under the design threads :( especially the white.
also, im going to order some of the polyneon and wondered if the color codes
are the same for polyneon and rayon. i have the rayon color card and use that to select my colors.

one more question. how much cp( i use flexcoat mixed 50% /water) should be applied to the completed weave?
Thanks
daniel Burney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weaving with madeira question
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 04:32PM

Rayon is not the same,use the polyneon 40.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 04:33PM

Rayon is not the same,use the polyneon 40.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mark Griffin (71.118.107.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 04:40PM

Dainel,

Colors are the same by #. Not all colors are available in both though. You want Polyneon. Do a search here on Rayon thread and you'll see why. We have Polyneon charts up on this page --> []

I think Doc still uses Flex Coat CP on his weaves, but he'll have to answer your questions on thinning. Generally it's not a good idea because you're displacing the solids in the CP which is what makes it work. Doc's traveling so he probably won't get to reply to your thread.

I'm pretty sure Jim Upton uses a couple coats of Gudebrod 811 followed by a coat of Perma Gloss before finishing. He's covered it here several times (and may again on this thread), but you should be able to find his past posts through a search.

I personally use 811 over Polyneon. I've got/tried them all and like 811 the best.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 04:44PM

I use Madeira Polyneon exclusively now. I think it works great. I use U-40 CP and have had no trouble. I usually put 2 coats on 1hr apart and then let dry overnight before applying the finish. Hope this helps. Scott

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (71.159.60.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 04:50PM

I have not had good luck with the 811. Some ot the bottles that I have bought the CP was too thick and I did not have good luck thinning it. So far I have had good results using Flex Coat CP so I am sticking with that brand. I do not thin the CP. I don't use rayon thread of any brand.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2007 05:28PM

Ellis,

If 811 thickens up on you, try floating the bottle in a coffee cup full of hot tap water (if you didn't toss it already).

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2007 06:19PM

I have used both flex coat as well as 811. Both thinned. What you need to realize is you can say I will apply just x number of coats and the threads will be color protected. After you put opn your first coat and it is dried you can a pply a very lite 2nd coat and if the threads don't darken from being wetted then the first coat did its job. you can also put a little Isopropyl on the "DRIED" first coat and if the threads darken in any areas then you need more.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2007 09:04PM

Thanks Mark. I believe I still have those bottles and give it a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster