I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Input appreciated with a Simple Spiral of 3C68MXF and C69MLXF, Thank you for your help.
Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.10.---)
Date: March 25, 2007 11:09AM

Hi, I recently purchased the 3C68MXF and the 3C69MLXF St. Croix Avid blanks. I wanted to Simple Spiral wrap them. (Bumper Wrap) I can see where these blanks would be great for spinning rods and very versatile as spinning rods. My problem is as casting rods the Extra Fast Action does not seem to lend itself well to a spiral wrap for a casting rod. I think if I shorten the 3C68MXF to about 6'3" removing 5" from the butt section, I may be able to get it to work using the Simple Spiral. The rod would still be a pretty fast blank. I am thinking along the same line with the 3C69MLXF. I am a little concerned about what it will take to load even a small #6 fly guide as the first 180 degree guide in the area just after the extra fast tip section of these blanks. I would like to keep these rods the factory lengths. Has anyone ever done a Simple Spiral of either of these two blanks, or blanks that are similar that could give me a starting point to work from. Thank you for any help and advise you can give me, have a great day, Rich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Input appreciated with a Simple Spiral of 3C68MXF and C69MLXF, Thank you for your help.
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2007 11:17AM

Try placing the guides and moving them around, you should be able to figure something out. CLoser to teh stripper, further away, larger guide, smaller guide.

Re: Input appreciated with a Simple Spiral of 3C68MXF and C69MLXF, Thank you for your help.
Date: March 25, 2007 11:58AM

Hi Billy, I have moved the guides up and down the blank, kind of came to a conclusion that in order for the first 180 degree guide to load and still have the bumper guide remain neutral, I may have to shorten the blanks. I am wondering that since these blanks have a lot of backbone, maybe I can move the butt guide back, go with a longer spacing for the 180 degree guide and maybe get away with the first 180 guide and third guide not having a lot of load since I cannot see these blanks bending that far back for the size of I normally catch. Thank you for you advice, Rich.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2007 12:42PM

Rich try putting the guides on it as a simple spiral and casting it I wouldn't worry too much about the first 180 degree guide loading. I've built a couple with the spiral wrap and they all casted as well as a conventional setup. Good luck.

Stan

Date: March 25, 2007 12:57PM

Hi Stan, thank you for your advice. I think you are right. As long as I use enough SF guides far enough back from the tip, the blank should still be supported where it needs to be. The 3C68MXF has such a stout butt section I cannot see it bending even if the guides were done in a conventional setup. Thank you again for your advice, have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2007 01:02PM

Where's your stripper located in relation to the spool face? It might help if you move it back a little. Also, try moving the bumper back toward the stripper a bit rather than centered between the stripper and the 180. I've found that helps to load that first 180 many times.

I prefer the Fast/Ex-Fast blanks for spiral wrapping, but usually use use a two guide transition (Forhan Revolver style) on them.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 25, 2007 02:55PM

A slightly larger (# 8-?) guide for the first 180 guide may do it, too, Rich?

added later-I realize now that this is thinking exactly the wrong direction. I think I wasn't thinking!! (I think... LOL!).

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 06:45PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Date: March 25, 2007 04:16PM

Hi Mark and Randy, sorry my reply took so long, having trouble bringing up the site today. Mark the stripper guide is at twenty inches. I think my problem has to do with my handle length. A split grip that is 13 1/4 in length, makes it short enough to cast one handed and not get it the way and long enough so I can cast it comfortably with two hands also. The St.Croix casting rod built on this blank says that the handle for it is 18 3/8" in length total. If I understood their handle chart correctly. Randy thank you for the advice on the #8 guide, I did try that and it seemed to bring the line further away from loading. I have two handles I am switching out, one handle that would make it a six foot three rod and the other that would make it a six foot nine rod. I am kind of debating just making it a six foot three because it seems I will be loosing five inches of handle from St Croix casting version. The St. Croix 3C62MXF has a handle that is 13 1/2" and I think it may be made from the same blank. Thank you for advice, have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2007 04:20PM

Why would the fast action of this blank make it non-suitable for the Simple Spiral? I can't imagine what you're talking about. I've done the 3C69MLFX and it's perfect.

Too much is being made of loading the guides - they will load, particularly the ones just behind the initial action.

The Bumper guide will not affect loading precisely because it does not carry any load. If it does, you don't have something set up correctly.

Date: March 25, 2007 05:04PM

Hi Tom, I think that the 3C69MLXF will be possible to do the Simple Spiral. The rod I am having trouble with is the 3C68MXF. It would be great to have some measurements and guide sizes from your 3C69MLXF to get a better understanding of what I need when I put that rod back on the bench. It seems the 3C68MXF just does not have a bend until a long way down the blank. If 27" is not to far from the reel spool face for the butt guide I guess I can get it to work correctly, 27" just looks like a long ways from the reel spool. I have only done a couple previous Simple Spirals and they where on MM blanks and very easy to get the bumper guide positioned exactly in the middle of the butt guide and first 180 degree guide. I am probably missing something while testing. Thanks to everyone for your help, have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Jeff Helm (---.dsl.skt2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 25, 2007 05:47PM

hi Rich,
I just spiral wrapped a 5C68MXF. email me at suzannehelm@sbcglobal.net. I'm sure we can sort this out.
Jeff Helm

Date: March 25, 2007 06:24PM

Hi Jeff, thank you for your help, I will send you a email, Rich.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: March 25, 2007 06:24PM

Rich
I don't understand how changing handles can change the length of the rod? Also you state that the 3C68MXF does not have a bend until way down the blank which is wrong if this is a extra fast blank. You should have a bend in the top 1/4 of the rod.

I think I would start with the Butt guide at the 15 to 16 inch mark from the reel face and work from there. Not certain what the advantage of the first 180 guide loading is but I have wrapped quite a few simple spirals without worrying too much about it.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: March 25, 2007 06:33PM

Hi Rolly, I have two different split grip handles, one is reamed out to slide tightly down to make the the a six foot two inch for static deflection, the other handle is reamed further out to slide all the way to the end of the blank to check the static guide setup. I meant from the butt of the rod it is a long ways down the blank until it has any noticeable bend. Thank you for your help and advice. I am going to send Jeff a email since he already Spiral Wrapped a 3C68MXF. I am just missing something, have a great day, Rich.

Date: March 25, 2007 06:35PM

Rich,

You are obviously missing something. Have you read the article or are you attempting to piece this together from things you've read on the internet?

There is no reason in the world that it won't work perfectly. Why are set on putting the butt guide 27 inches from the reel?

I guess I'm either not understanding something here or just fail to see what you're trying to do. You would be hard pressed to find a blank that the Simple Spiral won't work perfectly on.

Assuming your guides are positioned as per the article states, you only need to use a lower frame for the first 180 guide, or a smaller ring, against the remainder of the 180 degree guides. But even this would be a rare, rare, necessity. And almost never on a fast action blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2007 06:42PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: March 25, 2007 07:02PM

Hi Tom, No I have the article on the Simple Spiral, (Bumper Wrap) I agree I am just missing something. I have sent Jeff a email since he already has done this particular blank. Thank you and everyone for your help. Have great day, Rich.

Date: March 25, 2007 09:43PM

Why do you have to put the butt guide so far forward? Put it back about 14 to 15 inches from the reel face. The first 180 guide will end up somewhere around 8 to 10 inches past that and the bumper guide goes exactly halfway between those two.

Date: March 25, 2007 10:19PM

Hi Tom, thank you for the all the help. I will put the butt guide at 14 or 15 inches and retry my static test. Thank you again for your help, have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: March 26, 2007 10:35AM

NONE of the guides on the butt area are going to load until you put enough load on the blank to get it to flex that far back. You can't hang an ounce off the tip and then say something's wrong because the first 180 degrees guide isn't loading. It's not supposed to load until the load gets transferred that far back on the blank. Keep hanging more ane more weight on the blank and I bet you it will load at some point. They all will.

Date: March 26, 2007 01:08PM

Hi Shawn, I have a rod holder that clamps to my rod bench, I put the rod in the holder, I tie off the rod tip to a eyelet that is screwed into the top of the bench where I do my static tests. I then run line from the reel through the guides and tie a half ounce casting weight to the line and let it hang. Then I rotate the rod holder up at intervals to adjust the guides for a spacing that allows the line to mimic the flex of the rod blank as close as possible without touching the blank. I can put a very big load on any rod with the rod holder I am using. Maybe that is what I am doing wrong. I do think I have my problem figured out. Thank you for your help, Have a great day, Rich.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster