I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake guides on a bass rod.
Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 03:24PM

I had an idea to try snake guides on a bass rod (except for the stripper ). I mentioned it to someone at the big show and he didn't think it would work well. I would like for some of you folks to weigh in on the subject so I can determine whether or not I am a fool before I give it a try. I might add..... it would be spiral wrapped and the snakes would all be on the bottom. All input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Steve Buchanan

Steve's Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake guides on a bass rod.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2007 03:26PM

It will work, but not as well as other guides types. What are you trying to achieve? With mono and braid, you may find that most snakes guides are short lived and will groove far more easily than even a cheap ceramic guide.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 04:17PM

WHY? Why would you want to do this? I can't see an advantage - only drawbacks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 23, 2007 04:26PM

I've seen it done by guys who take their rod/reel combo weights seriously, but they are also replacing guides all the time. They use only one coat of varnish on their guides and they never have to worry about the wraps durability as they last longer than the guides do.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 04:33PM

He is thinking! Probably wants to deal with weight reduction and increased sensitivity for some bass fisherman who wants a magic rod that floats in space suspended in helium and has vibration enhancing chambers. Steve, I am also guilty and searching for the magic bullet. I do not think snakes are a viable answer. I put some wire guides on a sacalait (white perch) jigging pole and the braid quickly ate them up.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 04:59PM

Can't imagine any advantage at all.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 06:52PM

I just can not see snake guides holding up to tossing and winding in line very long. I would try low profile, double foot ceramic guides instead.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 08:12PM

I can't see any advantage to using snake guides on your bass rods. If weight is that big of a concern, there's another good option.

If you're really that interested in saving weight, use Fuji TLSG single foot ceramics as your running guides. You could use sz. 6 running guides (which are easy to get ahold of), or if you really wanted to go the extra mile, you could use sz. 5.5 or 5 guides. Skip all double foot guides, and just use the TLSG style, with a TLSG10 for your butt guide, a TLSG8 (or 6) as the bumper guide, then TLSG6s the rest of the way out. Watch very closely during your static distribution test, and only use the guides you need, no extras. I've used this approach on all my bass rods, and they're as lightweight as is possible. Further, the single foot guides are plenty durable enough--I've not had any problems, even on larger, heavier powered rods.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 25, 2007 12:45AM

I would think that depending on what applications he was going to be using the rods for he might be able to get away with the LSG's down to the 3.5's... I have seen a few of our sponsors that are carrying them. I am not too sure if the 3.5's would be heavier than the Titaniums... don't have any in hand to play with at the current moment.

May just be another option to look at.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster