I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Vendor Notice Flexcoat Arbors
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 01:49PM

At least two board vendors have oversized Flex Coat Size 16 Foam Arbors. They are oversized and require OD sanding to fit size Fuji 16 Seats. They are not 17s in the wrong package. What a pain! Check your stock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vendor Notice Flexcoat Arbors
Posted by: Reggie Kalous (213.185.116.---)
Date: March 23, 2007 02:47PM

Speaking of those, how exactly do you use them? I assume glue rod and slide arbor to spot needed. Then do you wait for the seat? Glue on outside of foam then slide seat over top. I have never used and they look like they could save a bunch of time. Is it just as strong as using tape rings?

Date: March 23, 2007 02:56PM

I assemble everthing at the same time. Slide everyting in place and use Rod Bond. Nothing faster or stronger - that is if you do not have to sand them to fit!

Posted by: Reggie Kalous (213.185.116.---)
Date: March 23, 2007 02:59PM

So you put rod bond on the blank and inside the seat? Does it hol as well as having the rings of tape as pockets foe epoxy.

Posted by: John Anderson (69.147.7.---)
Date: March 23, 2007 03:02PM

Hey Bill,
Flex Coat is aware of this situation and has informed our vendors as best we can.

All who have Flex Coat arbors that don’t seem to be sized correctly Please Call us at 512-858-7742, and we will help you through this.

John Anderson
Flex Coat Company

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 03:07PM

Bill much better to large then to small I glue the arbors into the seat do a 1/2 dozen or so at a time and have them ready, it is also easier to ream them to size this way as it can get very thin
John

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 03:18PM

Reggie, you can glue the arbors inside teh seat first, let dry then ream and instal. Makees it easier to rem especially as John stated above it's tricky when the arbor wall becomes thin

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 03:27PM

Heeheehee, I thought I was the only one whose were sized wrong. I turned them all down after i noticed it.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 03:36PM

The last bunch I got are all oversized too but I just figured they started making them that way. But I don't work fast enough that it bothers me, especially as easy as they are to work.

Reggie, I personally think they are stronger than tape arbors. Not that tape arbors are weak though. Definitely lighter, faster and easier.

Date: March 23, 2007 04:22PM

Simply for speed I do assembly with everything reamed in hand to fit up. My rods and build practices are addicted to Rod Bond and I would have to wait for a cure period if arbor was installed in seat and reamed. I apply epoxy to blank, slide seat in place, slide arbor to front of seat, apply epoxy to exterior of arbor and push it into place. Luckily the blanks and exposed blank seats I use do not required any super thin arbors for it up. I previously used the Flex Coat Arbor pilot drill for prep but with the new small fine reamers we have I can quickly ream an arbor without drilling the pilot first. I can not imagine going back to tape.

John you could have found a better way to get board advertisement of this fine product in another more exciting way than to get attention by a misfire! When I saw your name on the above post I figured that you were going to notify all of us that Fuji made the mistake and all the seats were too small!

Give us a clue as to the man's next invention!

Arboraddic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2007 04:24PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: John Anderson (69.147.7.---)
Date: March 23, 2007 04:39PM

Hey Bill,
Thank you for the advertisement of our reel seat arbors, you made the post.

We have arbors to fit most any size component you may have, give us a call.

John Anderson
Flex Coat Company

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 04:48PM

Bill,

It's top seceret, but I'll give you a hint on the next hot item... it involves a slightly larger DPSM16...

Good thing John posted before I did, because I was about to tell you there were TWO "16" arbors, but after reading John's post, it sounds like there's THREE (one Un-planned). 16 Spin arbors are 1/2mm larger than 16 Trigger arbors, but you probably knew that already.

Now I guess I better go check my stock and see if I need some of Roger's new DPSM16+'s. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 05:07PM

Like John and Billy, I Rod Bond them into the seats as I get them, then I can just ream them to fit blank as I use them. Much better than tape, in my opinion. Tape can and has failed on me, arbors never have

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 23, 2007 05:19PM

Mark you are incorrect! I had no clue that the cast and spin arbors were different. The spin arbors you note are probably the culprits in the bags of the ones I received. The oversize you note in your post is about right for the ones I received.

Date: March 23, 2007 05:39PM

Wait... incorrect that you didn't know, right? lol

Well then, here's my public service message for the day:

Fuji "16" Triggers take a 15MM OD arbor FC part #RS16A (we use #RS15 on our site to avoid confusion - sorta)
Fuji "16" Spin Seats use a 15.5mm O.D. arbor FC part# RS16

We have them listed with measurements at the bottom of this page --> []

John, does that mean I can quit measuring arbors, because I'm less than 1/2 way done and haven't found a problem yet. Did some big ones really get out of the Barn? Tell Roger to cancel that order for DPSM16+'s then...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: March 23, 2007 06:09PM

Mark maybe this whole mess is a result of my lack of knowledge. The packages I have are clearly marked RS16X3. This is a sticker on the back of the Flexcoat Reorder Sheet and it could be the vendors tag. Under that there is a line of text that says Arbors for 16mm Reel Seat. When I ordered the things on the phone I simply asked for Flexcoat Arbors for Fuji 16 exposed blank seats. It would eventually be nice to know what I needed to order the correct ones for the next order. If you need 12 bags of these fat daddies I will gladly ship them to you!

Date: March 23, 2007 06:18PM

Well, you're "call out" for the arbor was correct. The person on the other end of the phone should have known. Exchange 'em! Doesn't sound like it was your fault (I can say that cuz we didn't ship 'em lol)

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 23, 2007 09:06PM

No wonder the last exposed casting seat (Fuji) I installed needed the arbor sanded down! Learn something new every day around here.

Thanks.

Jay

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 11:12PM

bill i dont know if only one manufacturer makes them or not. in making reel seats i have learned that the pac bay/amtak/batson have a different ID than the fuji. the difference is slight,but makes a difference when making reel seats. this may be the reason for different sizes. the ID of the pac bay/amtak/batson is larger than fuji

Date: March 24, 2007 12:25AM

John,
Flex Coat's "16" arbors ARE MADE FOR Fuji Seats called out as a "16", period. They don't make one for the other imports. Pac Bay has their own arbor and THEIR "16" arbors ARE to big for a Fuji "16" seat.. Check the ID's.

The confusion here is really because the Fuji 16's are 15 & 15.5mm. Flex Coat's arbors are made for them. Pac Bay, etc... "16" seats are a TRUE 16mm. Try putting a Pac Bay 16mm arbor in a Fuji TCSM16 Trigger seat if you really want to scratch your head. lol

Kind of like a Fuji DPSH22. What size arbor would you order for that? Why, 20mm of course! DPSH24's are 22mm, etc... Same goes for many Aluminum seats. You're always safest actually checking the seat's spec before orderiing arbors or having the vendor supply the arbor for what ever seats they are going to ship if there's any doubt.

Flex Coat doesn't list both of their 16's in their literature. That doesn't help either. The RS16A's or R16AX3's (3 pack) are a seceret. I don't even think they're on their price sheet yet, but they've been around for a while.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster