I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shaping Copano cork
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 07:42PM

Ordered my first batch of Copano cork, and am wondering how it sands/shapes.
I have done a lot of work with traditional burl and regular cork, and regular cork cuts like butter compared to burl.

This was also my first order from Bingham, and they were really quick to respond and very helpful.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shaping Copano cork
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 21, 2007 08:07PM

It shapes like burl cork, it's pretty tough stuff!

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 08:32PM

Hi Mark,
The Exotic Burl material we manufacture is much harder and denser than regular cork. However you'll find that it sands and machines very well. I have found that a Stanley Surform file works great to rough down the cylinder. From there simply use 80 grit to refine the shape and work up through 400. When you're finished leave the grip spinning in the lather and wipe several times with a wet paper towel to remove excess sanding dust.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 08:35PM

Thanks Dave and Andy. Can't wait to try this stuff, looks great on the rods I have seen.

Marc

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 09:39PM

I've been through about 400 rings so far. The Capano rings look really good on the Batson R7+ fly rods with matching casting grip and fighting butt. When it's finished it looks like lepard skin; very unique.
The Burnt cork looks great on graphite gray blanks.
The Laguna does't look like regular burl cork it has a richer color when finished than burl.
Of all the exotic rings I've tried so far the Aransas is my favorite. Once the grip has been turned and finished sanded with 400 grit sandpaper it feels and looks like a piece of fine old leather. It produces a grip that is so pleasent to the hand the way it is I do not want to change the texture by putting sealer over the top of it. And I don't want to change the smell of the grip either.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.74.212.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 10:30PM

marc, it works very nicely. Not quickly by any means, but nicely. Very hard stuff but works very evenly and with no surprise voids once you get to shaping. You are going to enjoy the quality.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 10:38PM

Leather...that's a great way to describe the feel.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2007 10:39PM

I've been through about 300 rings myself. I like the way it looks but it's a lot tougher and denser. On my last full wells fly grip, I used a spindle gouge just to try it out. The stanley surform, or a wood rasp is a better rough shaping tool. I've found that a half-round rasp is good for getting deeper round features in the grip more quickly than with sand paper.

I use it more for trim than 100% grips, only because it's a little heavy for light fly rods. Makes glorious reel seat inserts though.

I'm off to go turn some now.

Terry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 11:01PM

Try boring it out way oversize and using Flexcoat arbors inside for a super light grip if weight is a concern. Got that idea from Stan Grace's light wood grips.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 22, 2007 08:28AM

I like the copano and turn it just like you would wood, with a gouge and finish with a skew. I then sand it down to 400 grit and apply tru-oil. The copano isn't smooth to the touch like regular burl it's more like Andy said the feel of leather. I like it and have not used a regular piece of cork for quite a while.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2007 09:12AM

Ah ha, the arbor idea. I haven't used this since I don't do wood grips but it's a great tip. I like it.

The one time I used a gouge to shape Copano, it did get to my basic shape quicker but I had to sand a little more.

And actually, I find the surface to be quite smooth once I get through 400 grit and agree that it feels great.

Good stuff and thanks.

Terry

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2007 09:23AM

Yeah...it can be as smooth if you sand it up past 400 or so.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: March 22, 2007 11:37AM

Leather????? I was trying to figure out how you spin it in the "lather". Let's see, my Palmolive is thick enough to spin in and my cheeks are really smooth afterwards, it might work!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster