I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lsg35j
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 20, 2007 02:30PM

Good Afternoon Gents,
I have yet another question for ya'll. I have been looking at the lsg35j's and have been thinking. Why do we continue to use 6's when we have the smaller guides?? I know that the smallest framed tops that we have are 6's from what I have seen. Any thoughts that you have would be GREATLY appreciated. I will be using these on bass rods and ultra-lights as well.

Thanks,
Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lsg35j
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2007 02:38PM

If the line and any required connections pass through them, then there is absolutely no reason not to use them. I suspect that the only reason they're not used more often is simply because they haven't been around that long or aren't very common.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 02:38PM

Knot clearance is the only issue I personally have. I have a few sets of T-LDBSG 4.5 & 5's for a couple of rrods I'm building, and expect no problems. I've seen rods in High Point, built be members of this board which used this same guide, as well as a size 2 guide. These guides are available through Custom Tackle Supply, speak with Bob McKamey about it and he'll fill you in on obtaining these guides. The rod I saw with teh size 2 guides was built by a Pro Bas Fisherman, and he's been using them for some time now with flawless results. I hope he chimes in on this.

Date: March 20, 2007 04:12PM

WOW, size 2?? those little buggers must be really tiny. I normally don't have to worry about any type of knots since I mostly use flourocarbon or copoly. Do they make tips that small too?

Billy, I hope that the gentleman that you saw with them does chime in since I think that it would be pretty cool to use those. I am looking at using some of the MATAGI or Andrews stuff on these upcoming rods as well to really give them that unique look.

Thanks,
Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2007 06:19PM

If he's the same person Billy's talking about his name is Steve Gardner. Steve showed me a remarkably light rod using the same small lightweight guides I threw away some time back. They were so small I couldn't even figure out how to hold them to position them on the blank to be able to wrap them. It seemed that every time I turned around those guides were in my way, so out they went.

By the way, I was so impressed with his rod and reel combo that I went ahead and bought the Daiwa Steez reel that he had on his rod and also the matching Daiwa rod a couple of weeks ago. I'm also in the process of building myself a rod along the lines that Steve built but using some Gold Cermet Fuji's instead of the guides he used.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 08:19PM

There is no reason to use 6mm guides unless as Billy said you are passing knots through them. I have used down to 2mm on spinning and 2.5mm on bait casters. The need for 6mm guides is one of those myths that will one day be busted and published in RodMaker under that section.

The only thing you need to be aware of on the spinning rods is line twist. If you get a twisted knot in your line, it will stop at the 2mm guide instead of passing through and knotting up about 10ft. out. I'm not saying this is a bad thing as it is right there were you can get at it. But I think if it happened a few times it could cause a weak spot in the line and may cost you fish. The best thing is to just keep a check on you line while fishing.

The only other draw back with using 2mm on a spinning rod, is that when using them on a med. action rod rated for 6-12 lb. line .I think it limits the rod to using about 10lb. as it starts restricting your cast past that. If you are target casting short distances it shouldn’t matter, but if distance is what you looking for I would stick to 10lb or under.

But as a test I took a bait casting reel off my flipping stick the other day spooled with 50 braid and put it on a rod with 2.5mm guides. Just to see if it would even cast. The results using 1/4 oz.weight were that it would cast about 40+ ft. Not far but a lot further then I had expected considering the size of the line. Next week I will be building a pitching stick and flipping stick with 3mm or 3.5mm and 4.5mm on them to do some testing. When you consider most flipping is done in 40ft or less I probably could get away with the 2.5’s. But I want the option of casting further if the need arises.

As far as tops go, to date the smallest I have been able to get is 3mm.
I think smaller then that because of the fragileness if the ring might be a problem anyway. I have on many occasions when fishing reeled my lure, weight, or hook right up to the tip, when not paying attention. With a really small ring diameter they might crack easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2007 07:52AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: March 21, 2007 10:45AM

Steve
Have you been able to find any other material for the rigns other than SIC? Please keep us posted on the results of the two that you are planning on building. I am VERY interested to see how they come out for you. Do you have any pictures posted?

Thanks for the input

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2007 06:42PM

I do not post pictures. I have not looked at any other material for rings then what I have been using. Which are-Titanium Nitrate and Titanium Hydrogenation Coated Zirconium rings. I have been so incredible pleased with these, that I have not gone l looking for others

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster