I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NPS seat strength
Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 19, 2007 08:39PM

I'm currently planning an inshore/light offshore spinning rod. It will see alot of 30-40lb fish (stripers, cobia, dolphin, small schoolie tuna etc) and would like to use the NPS seat. Has anyone ever had a failure of the seat? I'm a little concerned about the strength and feel that I may be better off with a standard DPS, but I don't know if that feeling is based in any fact.

Can anyone shed a little light on this? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NPS seat strength
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: March 19, 2007 08:44PM

Never used the NPS seat but just built both a Calstar GF700L and L/M for nearly the same application and it is an awesome blank. I know it is not the questioned you asked but thought it might help out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2007 08:50PM

I've never had any problem with that seat. What size line are you running? I suspect that if the line is 30lbs or under that it would certainly be the week link in the chain, not the reel seat.

Date: March 19, 2007 08:57PM

It will be braid, more than likely 50#. The reel will be either a 8000 shimano or a large penn,or the guy is thinking of buying a VS250. The foot of the simano and penn fits into the NPS 20 fine. I have used these seats alot on lighter stuff, just concerned about something this heavy

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2007 09:04PM

I doubt the seat will fail, but he will be pushing on into some pretty heavy stuff. You could always install a seat, fasten things up on a steel mandrel and see what size line you can break. MIght at least give you some piece of mind insofar as what that seat can handle.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 11:42PM

You might consider REC's aluminum spinning reel seats. They aren't nearly as bulky as the typical Aftco and similar aluminum reel seats and probably pretty comfortable in the hand. (PNA875 or the SPN875).

You could also consider the Fuji Cobra Graphite version of the NPS seat which might might be stronger than the standard graphite composite version (not sure, just speculating here... the cobra version feels more rigid to me).

Erik

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 20, 2007 11:19AM

Hi Bob
The NPS reel seat from FUJI or any other vendor, is beeing used by 90 % of all European Carp and Big Cat fisherman ( cat fish around 200 -300 pounds), and they hold up with out any problems.
Best Regards Mark Crouse
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com
PS: I have Stainless Steel and PVC collars and checks for this seat.

Date: March 20, 2007 03:03PM

Thanks Mark!
I may be in touch to see what you have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster