I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

holes in finish
Posted by: Michal Studeny (---.net.upc.cz)
Date: March 19, 2007 12:13PM

Hallo everybody

I have a problem with the flex coat finish.I rebuild 8 Shimano Tribal rods.
After warnishing there are a lot of holes in the flex coat after 3 hours.
Any bubles!
For the first I thought that I had dirty hands or bad brush. I refinished it and it is much worst than first time. I cut off the place with holes and refinish - any changes.
Make a new threading of that guids - any changes.
Clean everything, use new brushes - any changes.
Humidity in my finish room is 27% and temperature 25-27 degrees of Celsium.
It culd be problem with the chemical reaction between the flex coat and surface of the blank? There is some coat from producer.
I finishing some difrent rods like Rainshadow or similar with this flex coat and brushes but there is no problem.
Please help.

M.S.Handbuilt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: holes in finish
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 12:15PM

What kind of thread did you use? Could be a coating on the thread causing fisheyes.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 12:33PM

I agree with mark, It sounds like some kind of contamination got on the thread.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 19, 2007 01:02PM

I am using Gudebrod nylon thread - new spool, the problem started after second coating. Not for the firs time.
It is also on the place where is no thread - place with the name of the rod.

Posted by: Toby Coates (---.star.net.uk)
Date: March 19, 2007 01:30PM

Interestingly, I had a very similar experience a few months ago with a Surf Rod that I was re-building. I am sure there was no contamination and I also used my usual Gudebrod threads. The Flex Coat went on fine but when I came back to the dryer the following morning all the whippings had developed tiny little holes all over - almost like honeycombe toffee! I recoated to try and get rid of the holes but the same thing happened again. I couldn't understand this and it has never happened agian - the rod was wrapped and treated no differently to any other rod I have built! Spooky - hope the rod isn't jinxed!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 01:51PM

Did you clean that area with denatured alcohol? You might also try covering that area with a thin coat of a color preserver over the decale area. Is the logo a silk screen or paper/plastic construction. It sound like there is some type of silicon or oil contamination on the blank.
Good Wraps Bob.

Date: March 19, 2007 01:56PM

Yes Bob,
I cleaned it several times by alcohol before threading. I cleaning my hands several per day.
Do not use any cream on my hands.
I finish a few rods in the same time with the same flex coat as I wrote but problem is only with these Shimano rods.
It looks as wrote Toby.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: March 19, 2007 06:33PM

I had something similar happen to me. I work on my rods on the kitchen table. My wife was doing some cleaning and walked withing about ten feet of my rod and sprayed some air freshener while I was leveling a coat of finish. It was a major disaster with fisheyes everywhere. I had to sand down to the bottom of the fisheyes clean up and recoat. Couldn't even tell anything had happened.

TJ

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: March 20, 2007 11:01AM

That Bob knows how to hit a nail on the head. There should be no reason to clean anything with alcohol except glue residue. Alcohol has all kinds of icky stuff that can contaminate a wrap. It's an extra step that you don't need. Just wrap, CP (or not) and finish. I think we sometimes place far too much emphasis on trying to keep each step clean . Try and keep the dust off an unfinished wrap and use a soft brush to get any bits and pieces off before you apply finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster