I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rod Question
Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2007 07:48PM

Ok, My question is, if I build a rod from a blank and it happens to break on a hook set, say G. Loomis and I send it in would I be getting just a new blank back or would they be sending me a whole new rod. I haven't broken any Loomis rod yet but was just wondering. Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rod Question
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2007 08:16PM

If they determined it to break due to a defect in the blank, and this is from my own experience returning a couple of Loomis rods for warranty claims, they sent me replacement blanks along with my broken rod returned but cut in half between the foregrip and first guide.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2007 08:17PM

If it's proven defective, and most are not, you would get a new blank. You would have to build a new handle and swap the guides over.

If the blank is proven to have broken due to abuse or neglect, you may still get a new one at no charge, but sometimes they'll charge you a nominal fee for the replacement.

Either way, you get a blank, not a G. Loomis, Inc. finished rod.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2007 09:16PM

Lance,

Are you saying that Loomis CUT the rod that you returned broken? If so, I cant believe ANYONE would do such.....makes no sense to me.

DR

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 09:30PM

They do that to keep you mending the old one then having two or to keep it from being sent back in at a future date to be replaced again

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 09:36PM

Makes sense. Lot of people out there that would rip a company off in a minute, if they can get away with it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 12:07PM

If it was a 2 pc blank, custom built and the tip section broke, they would, if they dertermine too, replace only the tip section and refit it to the old butt section, you would have to rebuild the new tip section again, Everything written above applies and you have to send in your used butt section to so they have something to fit the tip sect. to. Of course, remove the guides from the broken tip section. Croix liks doing this. So does Scott. A guy I knew wasn't so happy after he sent in a production rod back to Scoot with a broken tip, he didn't like how the tip section was new and the butt section faded and old, the threads didn't match, he wanted a whole new rod and then broke both section in front of the store clerk.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 01:51PM

I completely understand now why they would chop someones blank and send them another IF the blank was found NOT to be defective. BUT if the blank was found to be defective to begin with, then the company should stand behind the warranty and concider the defective blank just what it was: defective and of no use.

Chopping the blank ruins some of the chances of using it for other things like reamers, butt section length additions and so on......

Way I'd see it: if the blank was defective, give the guy and new one. If the blank was found to be NOT defective, then let him pay whatever repacement fee there is and chop the old one if you like, after all there was nothing wrong with the original in the 1st place, it was USER ERROR.

DR

Posted by: STEPHEN GONZALEZ (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2007 09:38PM

CS. Not if you want them to keep buying your rods and recomending them in the future. Customer service .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster