I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Muskie rod blanks-5oz lures?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2007 01:46PM

I do a little bit of Muskie fishing and have built myself a couple rods. They perform great and no problems, most of the lures range up to 3oz.

However, a couple of the newer muskie lures are 5oz in weight!! Now casting these on my current rods can be done, it's not a good feeling and extra care has to be taken with each cast. The rods are just too light.

Is there a muskie blank out there that would be suited to casting the 3-5oz heavier lures that you would recomend?

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2007 01:46PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muskie rod blanks-5oz lures?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 01:55PM

I live in Wisconsin, and have done a lot of musky fishing with big baits. I thinks the St. Croix PM63XHF would be a great choice for what you are looking at. When you get in to these big baits, I think you will find a little shorter rod (this one is 6'3") is less tiring. These baits have so much weight that you don't need a 7' rod.

Good Luck,
Marc

Posted by: mark crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 02:04PM

Hi Duane
What length are you looking for?
Mark Crouse
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com

Date: March 17, 2007 03:22PM

Marc, thanks for the tip!! My ski rods are 7' and 7'6" ....never thought of the shorter blank being a plus.

Mark, thats a good question! I was thinking 7'6" until I read Marc's post above, and his post makes sense concidering the weight being thrown. I may opt for 6'6" or there abouts?

DR

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 10:17PM

Well...I dislike short rods...period. You can't effectively figure 8 with a 6' rod unless you enjoy running the length of your boat, which usually spooks the fish. Rod length isn't just for casting.

You didn't say what you'd be tossing...

St. Croix really knows what they're doing when it comes to Muskie. Probably has something to do with being right in the heart of Muskie country. The Avid 76HF and 80HF are good big bait rods. The Legend Tournament 76XHF and 86XHF are dynamite choices for the big stuff. Besides doing the figure 8 they give you a lot of line movement when tossing big Bull Dawgs etc. And for big jerk baits. Looooong sweeps are often times great triggers.

The 946C from Loomis is another good big bait rod. The 826 as well.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Date: March 17, 2007 11:03PM

Matt,

I'm looking for something to throw one of these on: [www.muskyshop.com]

This rod will be dedicated to throwing baits of this size. I already have the other presentations covered.

Whatcha think?

DR

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 09:58AM

If you already have 7'6" musky rods, I would really suggest you try a 6'3" or 6'6" for big baits. Throwing these things are work, period. I have an old Heddon Musky Special, 5' solid glass rod I still use some, and have caught quite a few fish on. I think we have become a little too in to the "longer is always better" mentality. Don't be afraid to go outside the the norm, and 6'6" rod is far from being short. Bucktails, crankbaits, general musky stuff, 7' or 7'6" is great, but if you want to throw that big bait for more than 1/2 hour, I think you will like the mid-length stick.

Good Luck,
Marc

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 09:58AM

DR

I'd probably spring for the 76XHF in LT. I like a stiffer rod for big glide baits.

This is also one of the very few presentations where I like a longer than the norm handle. Get that rod butt tucked up under your armpit, grasp the fore grip, and you can really rip baits when you have to.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Dan Fidonik (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2007 10:41AM

I used to use a shorter rod for jerkbaits and topwaters similar to the wabull(i.e.Jackpot). However, I did notice that with the shorter rod I was not getting the best hooksets and the leverage for fighting the fish was lacking. The shortest I fish with now is a 6'9". I just got in a legend tournament 86xhf, sweet rod, can't wait to build it and put it through it's paces. Will be tossing big plastics with it.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2007 04:40PM

5oz isn't that heavy ! A typical Muskie arsenal entails a rod that handles around 3/4-3oz and one that handles 2-6oz, or 3-8oz. in whatever length float's your boat. St. Croix has a number of good blanks that fills this range say a 2M70MHF (for 3/4-3oz) and a 2M76HF for heavier baits (2-6oz) in their SCII range or 4M80MHF (3./4-3oz) and 4M76XHF(3-8oz) in their SCIV range. Of course if you really want to throw heavy baits try the new 2M69XXXHF which will handle 8-20oz baits. Lot's of folk's in my area use St. Croix Muskie rods (and more recently Shimano) so I decided to try a couple of different blanks and really like the Lamiglas LGM84-1XH for tossing baits in the 2-8oz range, some of their other blanks look good too.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2007 10:46PM

From a leverage standpoint, you are going to be much less tired throwing that big jerkbait with a 6'3, 6'6" rod than a 7'6" or 8' rod all day long. Quite simply, you aren't fighting as much of a moment arm to move the bait from behind you to in front of you - and the bait is so darn heavy, it will cast a mile even with a moderate length rod. I'm also a fan of longer rods, but I think musky jerkbait rods are one special area where a shorter rod is a benefit. As far as the figure 8ing is concerned - that tactic was invented by northern Wisconsin guides fishing with 5'6" Heddon Musky Specials - if a ski is going to hit a figure 8'ed bait, it doesn't matter if the bait is 1' or 3' below the surface. Just my 0.02 from the heart of Musky Country :-) BTW - Rollie and Helens is a fun shop, if you ever get up to Minocqua/Woodruff, stop in there for SURE. I live about 5 minutes away from them - very dangerous!!! :-)

Date: March 19, 2007 11:19PM

Rich,

I drool on that catalog regularly! If I lived 5 min away, I'd need to win the lottery LOL

Thanks!

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster