I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Oh Boy! What a request!
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:17PM

Had a woman ask me to build a stand up rod for her which would use an electric reel. I said no problem till she told me she wanted painted Hot Pink with a bright green and yellow stripe spiraled from top to bottom. Making one hot pink is no problem, but the stripes would be. Any suggestions for this one? I'm thinking of just telling her that I can make the guide wraps green/yellow with an open butt wrap the same color so the hot pink will be visible between the patterns.

One other thing. She wants this rod pretty stout. A Calstar Grafighter 760H. I've built this type rod before using SIC LRSG guides. But since an eletric reel will be used I was wondering if the reel could produce enough torque or strain to start grooving the guides and maybe the use of roller guides would be better.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oh Boy! What a request!
Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:20PM

LOL!!! Have fun with that one, pinstrip boy!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:27PM

It's not the reel you have to worried with concerning the guides - it's the amount of load and the rate of speed of the line over the guides. I doubt you'll have any problem with the SIC guides, however.

You can certainly paint the rod any way she wants. But offer some other options first - the issue of RodMaker has something that I think will revolutionize the art of butt or decorative wrapping and there are other ways to get those colors involved on the rod besides painting the rod itself.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.bnl.gov)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:31PM

Hi guys, I'm thinking about delving into the world of rod building, and have been lurking around here for a while. There are some lengths and actions that I can't get in an off the shelf rod.

One way to get the striping would be to tape a piece of mono to one end of the rod, spiral it around a few times and then tape it off to the tip. You could then put a series of marks on the rod and connect the dots with paint.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:52PM

Take it to your friendly auto body guy,,, let him do the custom paint job for you,,,that is what I have done in the past..

<*)))><

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 03:14PM

Badger 250 airbrush, Createx Auto Air Paint, cheap air compressor, and masking tape.......About $100.

Creativity that ensues.....................................PRICELESS

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 03:22PM

not that i've ervr done a rod lik e this since most of mine are fly rods but. I had a friend that pinstriped cars. I would think you could put the blank on a wrapping motor and build some type of rest next to it to support you hand. Get a pin stripping brush . load it up and withthe rod spinning touch the brush to the blank and stedily walk it down. i would try it on some scrap or a dowel to get the application rate right but it could work.
HTH.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 03:43PM

sounds like she knows what she wants!
hope to see pictures of this beauty when it ready

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:29PM

After you paint it put 6 or eight spools of yellow in a plastic box (the type with compartments) drill about a 1/8 inch hole in the side (to run the thread out of) and pull all of the threads in a band at one time. Tape them off, load the box with the green thread and do the same thing right next to the yellow....... little bit of finish and you're done. Now that wasn't so hard was it? Good luck!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:48PM

I'd completely ENJOY building one like that!! The possibilities are near endless on the things that you can do. Those builds are the ones I like MOST! Congrats on the build and have FUN with it!!

DR

Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2007 06:09PM

This one sounds like a job for....SUPERMAN! Just kidding! :) Should be "fun" for ya though. PLEASE post pics when ya get it finished. I bet it is gonna be a beaut!

wishn i was fishn...at the beach! <*)}}}><

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: March 16, 2007 01:23AM

Bruce.....I actually did think of doing that. Just paint the entire rod pink and then start from the foregrip and spiral all the way out. I'm kinda thinking though it may look better with the stripes criss crossing up the blank. I wonder would that pose a problem having the threads running up the blank where it would have the most bend. Hmmmm!

Thanks to all who for the responses and suggestions.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster