I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning Eva
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 10:33PM

Someone posted a while back about a problem with getting the cork dust off the Eva foam butt cap. Someone suggested alcohol and a rag or paper towel, which I do all the time. Today I used masking tape. wrap it around the Eva and peel it back off. Do this a few times and it is clean ,black and fluffy ! Just like you like it !
Don't laugh, I just discovered this !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning Eva
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2007 11:10PM

Yes, that works fine. Also, a white pencil eraser held against it while it spins on the lathe. This is also a good trick for cleaning up colored EVA trim inlays when they've gotten colored from black EVA around them during turning.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 11:30PM

Two good tips!!!!! Thanks!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 13, 2007 11:31PM

Thats a great idea Tom ,Thanks ! Got a square white eraser laying on the wrapping bench, but I never knew why !

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (66.38.22.---)
Date: March 13, 2007 11:36PM

Barkley,,,,I thought you knew all the tricks and were just holding out on us !!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 01:22AM

Those are old Navy tricks for cleaning dress blues. I always cover my Eva with tape or paper while cleaning my coek that way there is no extra clean up work.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 01:29AM

I wish!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 09:17AM

Soap, water, paper towel or old tee shirt, elbow grease.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 09:38AM

The eraser bit - go to a flea market or an OLD drafting supplies house and get a hand held motorized variable speed eraser with the 1/4 eraser white stick inserts. Amazing tool for cleaning up blanks and grips.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2007 01:18PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 11:40AM

I understand you can also put the grips in the washing machine on gental with a very mild soap.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Date: March 14, 2007 02:49PM

If we are tlking regular grim from fishing, Go with Bily V's suggestion
Good Wraps Bob .

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:02PM

I can't let the washing machine trick go. My daughter just got a space saving laundry set, tall and narrow, but I still can't get the 7 foot halibut rod in there. I'll hvae to stick with soap and water for now.

Date: March 14, 2007 07:12PM

Hey Grant! Do you? Do like me, when my grips get dirty and it is one of my 7' bottom fishing rods! I soak it in the tub. My wife is 6'2" We have a 7' tub ,with hydo jets. Hey with those jets on high, those slimy grips are clean in 5 minutes. I clean my grips when the wife is away LOL.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 07:48PM

I clean my grips every time I go fishing in teh shower. I have an old toothbrush which I cut the bristles down really short so they are stiff, and I lather it up and brush my grips clean.

Date: March 14, 2007 07:56PM

Bob Balcombe, If your wife knew that..!!!!!! But if she needs to know that,,,you will tell her , won't you ??

Date: March 14, 2007 08:03PM

Jay of course I well tell her!!! When I am on my death bed and not befor. You see she would kill me she is 6'2" and I am 5'2"
Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 16, 2007 02:27PM

She could possibly cloud up and rain all over you huh !!!

Date: March 16, 2007 02:49PM

You got that right
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster