I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What to do when your in a Rut?
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 14, 2007 06:30AM

Billy, Don't "do" the wrap! "Be" the wrap! Seriously, you need to do an acid wrap......NO PATTERN! Just wrap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 09:24AM

There is nothing worth going fishing for right now. I actually built a coupel of fly rods...for me that is more work than anythign becaus eI have a piece of Amboynia Burl from Andy that I'll butcher if I tried turning it now. NYC is NOT the place to cast flies in ponds unless you are a pretty good fly caster. I'm more along the lines of a Christmas tree decorator when I fly fish. And some of my casts teh loop turns into a noose, which might be exactly wha tI need, lol.

I have other activities, Baseball being the main one, but I havent' had a chance to get out at all teh past couple of months with the exception of 4 or 5 practices. Games started yesterday at teh college I coach, and my son starts on Monday. I do need to start playing basketball again...actually I think that is exactly what I need to do, as that would help shed a few pounds that I put on over the Winter. And Fall. And Summer, etc, etc going back 3 years, lol.

It might also be time for a new look, maybe I should wack my beard off.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:05AM

You've been sounding like your a lighter shade of pale lately Billy, to get out of a Rut I try stay away from off road two track'n and stick to hard pavement. Sometimes complaining randomly about this or that or the other thing, takes my mind off of things, this might work for you. I know a bunch of hoop-happy-hooilgans that use that for an escape.

Posted by: Jerry Griffin (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 10:15AM

Here you go - [www.youtube.com]

Sorry - couldnt resist.....

Date: March 14, 2007 10:16AM

If I can find some of that meat of Gods, maybe that will help? Or get me sick since I'm not worthy?

Complaining is a great stress reliever, and it usually ends up with a lot of laughing. But that's only if you're a funny guy.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 11:55AM

You should be stress free by now ! ~~

LOL

Date: March 14, 2007 12:25PM

Actually my side is hurting from laughing.

Date: March 14, 2007 12:47PM

I figured it would be,,

<*)))><

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 12:48PM

Going through it myself Billy. Had an idea for a rod for myself for better than 6 months now, and finally got a chance to start working it. Not much has been going right with it, and/or the way I wanted it to. Keep redoing grips, re-coloring the blank, ruining guides during prep, lost count of the reelseats I've done, you name it. Haven't even begun wrapping yet. There's nothing difficult or terribly new that I'm doing, I just seem to be a little "off" each time I do something with it. Blow a measurment, miscut something, glue it wrong, forget to glue, touch something I shouldn't, oversand something, that sort of milarky.

I lay off a day or two and read a book, mess with a simple wrap, play with some experiments, then get back to work on it again. Slowly but surely it is coming together. One of these days everything will lock into place again. I think it's because I'm not 100% committed to any single idea and start changing little things halfway through without realizing it until it's too late.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 12:52PM

Billy
Just remember someone else is always worse off.
Like this poor soul!!!
[www.youtube.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: March 14, 2007 01:17PM

Anyone who builds or preferrs to buy a custom rod is worthy, and should be if they have any common applicable sense at all. What need is there for a production rod, once having used something superior? You guys read way too much into that quote, and let paranoia take hold.

Date: March 14, 2007 01:39PM

Well, that quote throws so many of us off because tehre's a whole bunch of fools, but we think we are Gods. so we're not sure which side of the quote we belong on.

Mick - " I think it's because I'm not 100% committed to any single idea and start changing little things halfway through ". That is 100% the definition of what I've been up to regarding wrapping rods. I'm going to try putting the 3 rods I've been trying to do on teh side, and start ANOTHER one tonight. This way I can put that one with the other 3 in less than a week, lol.

Date: March 14, 2007 01:45PM

its not about people its about construction processes, detached from profit margins. ppl wil think what they think and assume what they assume, but its the intent of the user that has the last word on the subject.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 02:33PM

HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 14, 2007 02:54PM

What ARTIST works on Profit margins? We do what we do because we LOVE to do it, and as a result many of us are Foolish Gods, who love to chew on meat and suck down Miller Lites through a straw.

FWIW, I NEVER have a problem with a customer's rod, as I don't push the envelope with those rods. I only try to go outside the box on my own rods, and onc I've proven that my outside the box-edness works, then I will use it on a customer's rod. As a result, my not pushing the envelope on a customer's rod, is an outside the box rod a few months before. So by teh time peopel start to catch up, I'm already 2 steps ahead. lol.

So, how did I do? I did my best to post somethign totally confusing and not making much sesne, although I did manage to squek in a few punctuation marks and I didn't use as many run on sentences as I had hope to use.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 03:21PM

Two suggestions...
1.) Let the wife spar with your head for a few seconds (she's a Boxer for those who didn't know), then make mental notes about the colors you saw when she rings your bell, OR,
2.) Go ahead, cut the beard, then use it for cross wraps. You could probably do a couple 5-6" butt wraps with that baby. "Billy Goat Rods". I can see it now.

Oh, got a book in stock that you could look at for inspiration. Wait... You wrote that...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: March 14, 2007 03:22PM

That's the trouble with ideas that evolve as you work them. You either end up with a mess or something that never gets done. When the fingers don't do what you want them too at the same time, fuggetaboutit. I think I'm on my 7th foregrip now for the darn thing, and came up with a couple more ideas just today, and will probably end up doing something small and simple just so I can use it this year. Then it will go in the "stuff to rework someday the way I really want them" corner with all my other personal rods.

Miller thru a straw, Old English thru a funnel..... tomato tomato....

Date: March 14, 2007 04:34PM

My point exactly Billy, you just put the cart before the horse, and juxsuposeded my intent, the production rod makers are the ones interested in profit, thus have to adopt straw like production methods and once you take yourself out for the pay-to-play concept, you are freed to work miricals of custom creatation. I don't know how many times I'll have to explain this before you come down with the correct intent/meaning. You don't have to be a God to do god like work.

Date: March 14, 2007 05:01PM

Billy,,,,,,,,,,Billy,,,,,,,,,,,,Billy,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's time to listen to me,,,, you have taken the beating long enough here today...(even I can't take it anymore) This is what I recommend... (IN AN OLD ITALIAN , NEW YORK ACCENT) FORGET ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the nearest pub that serves food,,, get yourself a good beef sandwich with peppers,, and a couple cold brewski's........... think about your car, your wife, kids, friends, anything but the rods, this wonderful site for browbeating,, RELAX ,,, maybe have 2 sandwiches if they are really good,, maybe another 1 or 2 brewski's.... now your there,,, your in the "think" mode....... relax..... forget about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we can beat on ya some more tomorrow ~~~~ Tomorrow you will be fresh, feelin' like a million bucks... you may not have any "bright" ideas for a rod,,, but you have memories of the great time you had tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!! Now go,,, go to that favorite place that serves the worlds best beef sandwich .........

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:02PM

HuH? Chris you need to esplain it to me agian?? I've read your last post 6 times and I can't make heads or tails of it.
For me could you dumb it down a little?
Thanks.

Stan

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster