I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What to do when your in a Rut?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 07:54PM

I don't know what's wrong with me, I have a gazillion ideas and it seems no matter what I do lately, it turns out like doo. What I'm going to try and do is go back and make somethign really simple that I know will look nice. What I've been trying to do is force teh issue and do crazy things, colors and wrap wise, and that's just not working at all.

The worst part is, I assume taking a break fora bit would straighten it out. Problem is I havent' been building squat, but I have been doing a LOT of stuff pertaining to Rodbuilding (writing book, preparing for High Point, preparing 2 2 local Gatherings since High Point, and another in 2 weeks). SO I really can't take time off from building...I already proved that didn't work by hardly building last year, lol.

What do you guys do when you get in a rut?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to do when your in a Rut?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 07:56PM

Go Fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 08:05PM

I agree with Mike. Get a stripper.Tarpon or redfish on a rod you have built and there is no theropy any better.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 08:07PM

Paul Lindsey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Mike. Get a stripper.

That's one way to go LOL

Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.connect.net.au)
Date: March 13, 2007 08:49PM

Good pick up Bob - keep it clean (LOL)

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 08:52PM

Take up fly fishing. Get a casting lesson and spend some time learning to double haul. That will keep you focused on something new. Then go back and tackle the other things that are a pain at the present time. Seriously, whenever something is bothering me in rod building I take my fly rod go to a nearby pond and spend an hour or so just casting trying to improve my distance and loop control. It is a good way to clear your mind.

Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 09:10PM

Well, fishing is a GREAT idea. I second Mike's suggestion. Remember, that's the reason everyone here got into this stuff in the first place, in all likelihood. I'm not near good enough at this to get in a rut--I'm still dealing with the basic language, like wrapping in/out, up down, X2, +1, etc. I never know when I must use one thread at a time, or can use a band. Last night I actually succeeded in getting something approximating a spider, but could not close the central threads for the life of me.

But enough about my problems. How about trying to figure out a wrap that would somehow look like a cresting, or breaking ocean wave? Or a parrot. Or a palm tree.

Or, what would happen if you made a layout where one layout thread goes up the blank on a spacing that would be roughly a square wrap, but then rather than spiraling down at the same angle, spiral down (toward the butt) at a completely different (elongated) angle. What would happen, other than it probably would be impossible to do a closed wrap!? Would wrapping a pattern on these layout threads result in gibberish? I don't believe I' ve seen a wrap that uses that approach. I've also wondered what would happen if a wrap were made over concentric trim bands, or what would happen if a wrap were made superimposed over a barber pole layout, or a partial one.

By the way, have you heard of fractals? Some of the more intricate wraps in your book look like fractals, or what in the dim reaches of my math studies remind me of fractals.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Tomorrow you'll get back on track. Sometimes when one has lots of irons in the fire, it's hard to concentrate (or relax) and do justice to 'em all. Relax, catch a fish and have a beer!
Chuck

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 09:10PM

So i can't spell but it got a laugh

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 09:14PM

I kind of agree with Ellis. I believe when you and I talked at one of the shows you acted like you didn't build many fly rods, that may be just the project to break things up. Of course you could cruise around to where the "serious" builders are and find out how to fry a turkey. If it really gets bad come down and we'll make our way to Texas and bug Andy for a while.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 09:32PM

If you were an elk or a bull moose the cure to your defined syndrome would be quite simple! In your specific case, I propose a complete departure from the norm - how about a total black all stealth midnight fish stealer with absolutely no flash. If you did one of the complex 12 axis patterns with all black thread then only you would know what it was supposed to look like!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 09:36PM

I'm with Charles,
So many new things to try and other things to master it's hard to get into a rut. That being said, I do at times
get frustrated. Either funds don't allow for the gadget, thread, components, etc. that an idea requires or I'm
stuck waiting for them to arrive or I just can't quite make up my mind on what I want to do next. When this
happens to me I find that if I just fall back to the "basics" for a bit the creative juices flow better. Sometimes
I also find some old fashioned garage sale rod dismantling and destruction relieves stress.

Fish'in never hurts either!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 10:00PM

I agree with Ellis and Mike. Go fishing ! If you have some pieces laying around, build a fly rod and go try it out. Use the KISS process. And go fishing by yourself. You will be surprised how it can take your mind off all the colors and patterns !

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 13, 2007 10:02PM

TEQUILA

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 10:17PM

My day job takes my mind off rods and when it is over the rod work relaxes me(along with a cold beer or 4).Maybe you need a day job that gets under your skin more!!!!(lol)

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 11:55PM

Ellis........ I liked your theory and decided to try it. Took my flyrod and headed to the closest pond to do some fly fishing. Within three minutes I knew it just wasn't going to work! My feet were getting numb, the fly kept bouncing on the ice and when it would break off, my hands were too cold to tie an Improved Clinch. But my farmer friends got a big kick out of it and told me they got some great pictures. Live and Learn!?!

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 12:44AM

The secret for me is to do something COMPLETELY different and separate from what is causing the block. I have DOZENS of partially completed rods because I either get stuck in a rut or get another great idea I have to try. My secret is the local shooting range. I used to be a competitive shooter back almost half my lifetime ago. I will take my favorite pistol and a case of ammo and lose myself in ever minute detail of each shot from the grip on the weapon to the trigger squeeze.

A friend does something very similar and goes bowling, someone else goes to the local pub and throws darts.

It amazes me sometimes that when I do this process I often get that necessary, vivid flash of insight that clears the clogs from my plugged up brain and gives me the solution I was looking for. Sorry guys, I don't flyfish, but I can see where trotting out a flyrod and working on casting mechanics could provide the same sort of level of concentration that I am talking about, so could archery of golf for that matter.

just my .02

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 01:32AM

I guarantee this well straighten your brain out of it howdum feeling. Just think of the honey dooos the wife wants you to do. Right away you well find a grand idea for a new rod design
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:22AM

Like many others I GO FISHING..........LIKE BILL I HAVEN'T SPENT MUCH TIME BUILDING IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS BUT HAVE DONE SEVERAL OTHER PROJECTS.......I TURNED A LAGE SCOOL BUS INTO A PORTABLE SHOP BUT DIDN'T LET IT GET IN THE WAY OF MY FISHING.......MY HEALTH IS IMPROVING AND STARTING THIS SUMMER I WILL START BUILDING UP IN ALASKA AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS FROM THERE........GOOD TO BE BACK ONLINE.......I HAVE MISSED YOU GUYS........

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: John Blair (---.dsl.hrlntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:22AM

Like many others I GO FISHING..........LIKE BILL I HAVEN'T SPENT MUCH TIME BUILDING IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS BUT HAVE DONE SEVERAL OTHER PROJECTS.......I TURNED A LAGE SCOOL BUS INTO A PORTABLE SHOP BUT DIDN'T LET IT GET IN THE WAY OF MY FISHING.......MY HEALTH IS IMPROVING AND STARTING THIS SUMMER I WILL START BUILDING UP IN ALASKA AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS FROM THERE........GOOD TO BE BACK ONLINE.......I HAVE MISSED YOU GUYS........

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 05:45AM

Bored with rodbuilding ???...Bored with life in general ????

Go run a marathon !!

MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster