I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Insert Wall Thickness?
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:07PM

Ive reamed a wood insert for a seat. Im only left with .100 wall thickness maybe a touch more at the biggest ID in the taper.. Should I go with a bigger OD? What is a good guideline for how much meat should be over the blank?

Thanks in advance
Scott

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Insert Wall Thickness?
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:14PM

Scott
You are going to epoxy the seat to the blank and the skeleton parts to the seat. I think this will make it more than strong enough as they will essentially be one piece if they are properly fitted and epoxied.
Just my .02

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.connect.net.au)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:35PM

Scott
What are you coating the wood with when you are finished?

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:38PM

Its stabalized so was just going to buff it. Is there a chance raw hardwood wood split this thin when oiled/coated?

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:51PM

The blank type may have an effcet on things also, namely, low wt fly rod or noodle rods that will bend way down the blank into the seat area. You have to watch out for incert grain orientations. I learned this the hard way with an 8wt fly rod with a wood incert machine hooded reel seat. The straight grain was on the side of the rod and when it bent one time it sounded like a .22 round going off and I was hard pressed to find out what broke the shear along the neutral axis was so fine. The straight grain, the straighter the better needs to be oriented up on the top of the rod, just like you will find on a wooden shovel handle, put that straight grain on the side of the rod, no matter if it looks better another way and opposing compression and tension forces go to work on it, more so if the blank bends deep into the butt and pretty soon, like a brigde eventually fails from loading and unloading, the incert shears down the neutral axis.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:57PM

Hi Scott, if your outside diameter of the blank is relativley smaller than the inside diameter of your insert.i have taken two graphite arbors,reamed the inside to match the outside of the blank.then turn down the outside of the arbor to match the inside of the insert.worked well for me,and dave is correct , if the outside of your blank is close to the inside diameter of the insert.just go ahead and epoxy the insert and the skeleton seat......no fear.

Date: March 13, 2007 07:40PM

What do you guys put on non-stabilised wood inserts?
I wanting to turn my own.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 08:02PM

Robert,

Do a search here and you will get a year's worth of reading!! Everyone has their favorite. I would guess that Tru Oil is by far the most used CA is also popular. Keep in minnd tha oily woods, cocobolo, bocote, rosewoods will not take finishes well due to the oily nature

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 13, 2007 08:18PM

Hut solid bar wax

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: March 13, 2007 08:47PM

Ray
Do you mean the beeswax for other wooden items like wooden pens etc?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 09:14PM

The wax comes in a bar and is made or marketed by Hutt.
My dad uses it and I don't think it's bee's wax. I believe there
are several different formulas.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster