I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrapper leaving marks on blank ?
Posted by: Jeff Shields (192.28.2.---)
Date: March 13, 2007 02:05PM

Has anyone noticed that their power wrapper leaves permanent marks on their blank where the wheels were turning ? I understand that part of this may be due to the fact that the tension on the wheels might be a little tight but if I loosen it anymore the blank flies out at high speeds (especially since the stripper guide is now on and creating a slight wobble). If you have seen this, how do you fix it ? Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrapper leaving marks on blank ?
Posted by: Rob Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 02:11PM

Wrap masking tape on the blank where the wheels sit.

Posted by: Jeff Shields (192.28.2.---)
Date: March 13, 2007 02:13PM

So this is common ??

And now what do I use to cover up the dull spots ? Rod varnish ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2007 02:26PM by Jeff Shields.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 02:31PM

Yeah, this is common. When I'm building a rod I have masking tape at just about every open area between the guides just because I don't want any marks whatsoever when I deleiver the rod to a customer. You can coat the area with Permagloss but it will remain glossy which would be a problem if it's a matte blank.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 03:33PM

You can polish them out.......but wait until the rod is finished. You don't want polish or wax repelling your finish. You can try cleaning the o-rings on your wheels. Dirt on them will marr the blank, but masking tape is really the way to go.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 04:32PM

use blue painters tape-no residue

Posted by: fred schoenduby (67.126.85.---)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:13PM

Jeff....I wipe my "o" rings down with denatured alcohol quite often but do at times have
rings, I use a good carnuba base wax [simonize] on all my rods and this takes the mark
out and ONLY after you have finished the rod.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 07:32PM

Jeff,
If you go to a hydraulic supply company and buy "Buna N " or Natural Gum Rubber orings, you will not have any marks or problems with your blanks. Rubbing any alcohol on your orings will only make the problem worse as it dries out the rubber and that will in turn leave residue on the blanks. Natural gum rubber has also worn better. I have built well over 300 rods without any problems.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (67.126.85.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 09:10PM

Jeff and Kevin....When I wrote I must have been drinking that alcohol, I did not follow up by saying that the alcohol takes
the residue off but to use a softening agent afterwards. I use a leather-vinyl cleaner product which keeps them soft until
the next go around. The best way to go is "Buna N' I fully agree.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 16, 2007 03:40AM

Jeff : Fred and Keven gave you the best advice. I also use blue painters tape as a extra precation. Are you saying that the wheels are leaving a dull mark and not scratches? If you are getting scratches that means you have a bad ring thats has some kind of Foreign material on the ring. Get rid of the ring and replace it with a new one
Gppd Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster