I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Builder's Get Together
Posted by: alan hutchison (---.mke.netwurx.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 08:08PM

Madison Wisconsin
Rod Building Day
March 17, 2007

We will be having a rod builders gathering at the Gander Mountain Sporting Goods Store at West Towne Mall in Madison, Wisconsin from
9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, March 17, 2007. Everyone is welcome. There is no admission charge. We ask everyone that attends to bring a sample of their work for others to see. We also encourage you to bring along items for a Swap Meet. Perhaps you can buy sell or swap items with each other. Lunch will be on your own.
If you are willing to put on a demonstration or presentation from basic to advanced please let us know. If you desire to see a demonstration let us know what you would like to see. Here are some suggestions:

Cross wraps—basic to advanced
Weaving –- basic to advanced
Marbling
Static deflection
Morton equal angle guide placement
Checkerboard rings
Finishing techniques
Big Brother Big Sister Program
Basic lathe operations
Making wood and plastic inserts
Decal tips and tricks
Basic tools
Forehan locking wraps
Painting a blank
Airbrushing
Blank selection and comparison
Guide types and explanations
Dressing guide feet
PCStitch demonstration
Wonderweaver operation
Digital camera techniques and advice
Starting a local club

If interested email Al Hutchison at AL.Hutchison@BRP.com,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Builder's Get Together
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2007 08:28PM

Those of you who attend and have any interest in the new Rod Builders International organization will be able to get brochures and information at this event. Joe has forwarded some print materials and Alan will have them on display there. We're trying to get someone to attend and speak on behalf of the new group. Should have that information soon.

Posted by: Aaron Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 10:25PM

Oh Man! I wish I could make it but its my boys 2nd birthday party.I only live less than an hour from Madison. Oh well maybe another time. I'm just glad to know there is something like this in the area. Have fun guys.

Aaron Anderson
Beaver Rods

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 11:12AM

Aaron,

There are several of us rod builders near Madison. We meet ocassionally to share ideas. No fee, no politics, no affiliation required. Just rod building. Shoot me an e-mail and we can get together sometime. Ron
mrrwally@hughes.net

Posted by: Joe N Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 12:27PM

I attended a couple of these get togethers when I lived in Wisconsin. They are always good and very informative. There is no way I can get there for this one, but I would encourage anyone who can to do so. You will have fun and learn a lot. Joe

Joe Douglas
Rod Builders International
208-476-5708
joe@rodbuildersintl.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 01:10PM

Al, I'll be there and look forward to it. Thanks for getting people in the area together. I have a rod that would be a good project for a cross wrap and have never done one. I'll bring it along and maybe you or Ron can show me where to start. Thanks Mark.

Posted by: Tom Walters (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:24PM

I wish I could come, but after 2, 10 inch snow falls all the melting afterwards, I am ready for Disney world with the two loves of my life, my Wife and Daughter for ten days we will be there. Have fun and maybe I could make the next, No fee, no politics, no affiliation required, meeting. I REALLY like those ones, just a group of guys there rods and alot of stories........

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 06:34PM

That's what makes the great big show there in NC so outstanding. No club affiliation, no politics, no gripes, just all out rod building! Didn't mean to hijack the thread but it came to mind after the last post by Tom there.

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: March 14, 2007 04:15PM

I will post as to how our event went after the event so everyone that miss's it will be dissapointed, just kidding but I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully in the near future we can move it around the state of wisconsin and even into nothern Ill. to include those folks too. I have been into contact with Bass Pro Shop and still am trying to comfirm a date when their meeting room would be avaialable. Look onwards to the future.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 14, 2007 08:50PM

Alan, I planned on taking the drive from northwest Indiana but I got to work. Keep me infomed on other gatherings if possible as long they are not much further north.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster