I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Most common damage?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 01:32PM

I am just starting to sell quite a few rods, and am wondering what everyone sees as the most common repair/warranty work you have to do?

Also, at what point do you not do warranty work and tell the customer it was abuse or misuse that caused the damage?

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most common damage?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 01:48PM

Marc, customers and future customers' perception of me is too important here (to me). I'm in a small community and word gets out fast. That word might not be the story I want told, too. That's how things work in small communities.

I take care of my customers. When he leaves satisfied, then all goes well. It's not worth hassling about to me. I just get there blessing on our agreement and we go from there. Each one is different and more times than not, they even eventually tell me what REALLY happened after the rod is repaired...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 01:56PM

Most of the failure will be operator error, IMPACT in its many varying forms, and incorrect ferrule assembly will head the list, HIGHSTICKING (breaking a rod swinging a bass up into the boat is highsticking) will also enter the pic after that.... ALL abuse/ operator error type failures, those eat up 90% of all failed rods, over lining, reefing on a snag with the rod add to that, NONE ARE COVERED or technically a defect in materials and workmanship, Moreover just a defect in the brain pod of the fisherman.

Cut them a cheaper rate on repairing the rod if you feel so inclined, If an actual break due to a Mfg defect it will be clean with no fussies (or curshed fibers up the blank on each side of the break) and will happen in the 1st few uses. The blank Mfg will replace it then. almost assuridly, but he still needs to pick up the shipping to charges and from the MFG. (save shipping rod tubes at least you can supply him with that) Charge for the rebuild or cut him a deal its usually just the tip section on longer 2 pc rods that fails, then its just labor your out, or have to charge something for

The best thing you can do is educated your client on the frailties of the equipment he is purchasing, ( I have a standard three page print out) and how to avoid them and how to use a rods strong points to your fishing advantage. Hes not buying a bullet proof ugly stick most likly. Explain the warranty just as I have, and how so little is actually covered and rightfully so. just be truthfull and up front and cover yourself for what can happen to rods and whose fault it is when it does. If it is his fasult and your cuting him a deal or reapiring it for free make sure he knows this, and knows this is a one time affair, next time it is all on him.

Tell him to buy rod a tube nothing hurts more than pulling out a damaged rod in the spring due to impact, or a nawing dog over the winter storage months, Buy a tube with an attached reel pouch for transport situations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2007 02:07PM by Chris Karp.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 11:08PM

I used to give my customers a 50/50 warranty. That is 50 seconds or 50 feet what ever come first. (JUST KIDDING). I would build in a slight cushion price in to the total price of every rod. just to cover parts. Hopefully you seldom use it so after a year of building rods and you don’t have to use it you have a nice little nest egg. Remember if you have a business license your parts are cheaper. Like Randy stated customer relation is what this business is all about. You want to give your customer the best of 2 worlds, the best rod and a working friendship that well last for ever. One bad remark can kill at least 25 sales. One kind word can make a lifetime of repeat sales to that customer his family and friends
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster