I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mixing Rod Bond?
Posted by: Mike Neal (---.brd.64.71.113.141.brdadsl.sktc.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 12:04PM

Just wondering what you all use to mix your rod bond in? I was using some old small plastic solo cups with smooth bottoms but all I can find now is the wax paper type or they have ridges all over the sides.

Thanks, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing Rod Bond?
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: March 12, 2007 12:29PM

measuring spoons

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 12:42PM

Two Popsicle sticks and eyeball it. I fold it together on a small piece of cardboard or waxwd paper (anything will work)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 12:43PM

I just scoop out portions with 2 popsicle sticks (one for resin, one for hardener) onto a piece of cardboard and mix away.
Pretty scientific huh!

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 01:36PM

I use a plastic pallette knife to dip out equal parts of epoxy and hardener (wiping with alcohol and paper towel between hardener and epoxy) onto a cheap paper plate where I paste the two parts together with the same knife and also apply the mixture with the same pallette knife. Pallette knives available at either Wally-World or Hobby Lobby. Leave the plate on the bench to check the next day to make sure it hardened properly. Never had a failure with Rod Bond. Just mix equal size looking blobs of each.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 01:44PM

Gotta love the ol' spatula here! I use @#$%&'s spat and do as Lynn mentions above. The Rod Bond is quite forgiving about being an "exact" 50/50 mix. Great product and it's really been one of the more notable additions to my rod building in the last several years.

I mix on cardboard squares about 4" x 4" with the same spat, just like Lynn outlined above.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:02PM

Randy Parpart (Putter) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I mix on cardboard squares about 4" x 4" with the
> same spat, just like Lynn outlined above.
>
> Putter
> Williston, ND

You measure your cardboard for mixing??????
I just rip the lid off a box & have at er' LOL

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:07PM

I've got a friend that does cabinets and countertops. I took a bunch of his scrap plastic laminate and cut hundreds of 5" x 7" cards. They're flat and rigid. Great for mixing Rod Bond, 5 minute epoxy, pouring ThreadMaster on to...

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:31PM

Mike,if you noticed all the responses said they mixed it on something not in something.Mixing on a flat surface allows you to properly fold the two parts together.Mixed in a cup they will not get mixed well enough.Using a spatula spread the mixture out and fold it back together multiple times.This will ensure the best mix possible.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:58PM

I save the old cans that tuna comes in, they are shallow and a good size diameter. I cam mis well in them and them chuck em to recycling when done. Works for me.

"If you don't know where you are going then any road will get you there"

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 03:04PM

I stole a set of little measuring spoons out of a drawer in the kitchen ( she hasn't missed them yet). I just guess how much I need to mix for the job and use the closest size spoon. Dip it out ,level it off on the rim of the jar,scrape it out with a spatula onto a piece of cardboard.Clean spoon with paper towel and dip the other one. Mix throughly and apply. Clean up spoon and spatula with alcohol and paper towel. Leave excess piled up so you will know when it is cured. Great stuff.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 05:35PM

Like David Orr...I require three things to properly mix Rod Bond...1 popsickle stick (broken in half, one part for resin & one part for hardener)...1 piece of scrap cardboard (got to use those old rod component shipping containers for something), and 1 good eyeball.

Plop out a couple mounds of Rod Bond parts that look pretty close to the same size & mix away. It's so easy a caveman can do it.

Jay

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2007 07:43PM

I only mix small batches for smaller rods, but a card from a deck of plastic coated poker cards (from the dollar store) and a popsicle stick does it for me!

Rog

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 08:04PM

Measuring spoons. I saved a piece of marble from a tile job I did around the house. It makes a great surface to mix on.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 09:17PM

I have my Rod Bond in two 60CC syringes that work great to store and meter for mixing. I mix on index cards.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 11:50PM

Dave Orr Wrote:

> You measure your cardboard for mixing??????
> I just rip the lid off a box & have at er'

I bet Putter marbles his cardboard prior to measuring.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 12:00AM

LOL!! I'm busted; Neil's right. I save the "about" 4"x4" pieces that I've already used for mixing marbling on and those are what I use to mix the Rod Bond on... stiffer yet, then. LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Wayne Kohan (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 12:10AM

Paper plates for mixing. I use popsicle sticks and or toothpicks for mixing and applying. When done, fold the paper plate in half and throw in the garbage.

Wayne

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 13, 2007 01:05AM

I have a shoe box with hundreds of discarded old photos. I mix everthing on them. Usually cut them in half and I mix on the picture side. For wonderful, forgiving Rod Bod , I use a slightly flexible spatula I got as a gift a couple years ago at the Big Rod Show. I scoop out a gob, plant it on the photo, wipe the spatula a couple times with denatured alcohol and then scoop out another gob from the other jar. I eyeball the gobs for equality. I stir them a little in the beginning just to get one mixed lump, then I smash and roll them together for about 30 secs. Pretty slick and easy and I have never had the mix not harden. It's also kind of fun (LOL) sometimes to see the photo again when the rod bond has harden on it.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: March 13, 2007 07:09AM

I am sort of like Putter, in that I use the harden pieces of left over threadmaster/flexcoat/LS supreme to fold rod bond on. No pigments in mine, but it gets one more use out of the stuff before it is tossed.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster