I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank "refinishing"
Posted by: Scott Hunt (68.153.9.---)
Date: March 12, 2007 10:13AM

I have a surf rod butt section that I am changing/replacing the grips on. During this process, I have decided that I want to shorten the foregrip length. The "problem" is that I made a decorative butt wrap at the top of the original foregrip. Before I made the butt wrap, I scuffed up the area under the butt wrap with a scotchbrite to get good results with finish "adhesion". This is one of the first rods that I made and the butt wrap it not too pretty. Now that I am shortening the foregrip, I am considering removing the butt wrap if the blank under it can be "refinished" relatively easily. I imagine that when I remove the butt wrap and clean up the blank that the section where the butt wrap was will be cloudy/scuffed up. Because I am reducing the length of the foregrip, I would like for the area where the butt wrap used to be to match the original/unwrapped blank. Theroetically, I would only "need" to refinish the butt section above the top of the foregrip where the butt wrap used to be, but realize I may need to finish more to match the blank. The blank is an Outcast and has a very smooth glossy black finish. Thanks in advance for your help/advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank "refinishing"
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2007 10:50AM

I just went thru something similar with the 1st rod I built, except I was removing a football size clump of the worst marbled epoxy job you could imagine (they did come out better after that...but the 1st was the worst!). The problem was similar in that after removing the marble, the blank finish in that area didnt match the rest of the rod. It wasnt a simple matter of "sanding" or smoothing down and refinishing. It still came out "lighter". I figure I'll try a single layer of black thread and finish, or even glossy black pigment in the epoxy, but I'm not counting on matching the original blank without some luck at this time. Will probably even trim it out to look intentional, but I'm now trying to minimize the deco-n-bling on this one.

Posted by: dave schaub (63.241.190.---)
Date: March 12, 2007 01:17PM

A friend brought be a two piece spinning rod he used for saltwater casting and asked me to refurbish it. The butt section was horrible as it had numerous dings and scrapes. The upper section surprisingly had almost no dings. I thought about it for a while and finally stripped off everything on the butt blank section. I then sanded lightly on all the places that resisted in getting glue and gunk off. Then I spray painted the whole section with gloss black paint. It matched exactly with the upper section and looked like new. I then rebuilt the rod and gave it back without touching the upper section. The owner said it looked exactly like when it was new. You could try this and see what happens.

Posted by: Scott Hunt (68.153.9.---)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:27PM

Thanks for the suggestions....I don't have will have any problem with chips or scratches on the blank where the black color in missing or damaged, just the "dulled" area where I purposefully roughed up the original shiny surface of the blank where the butt wrap was going to go. I guess I was hoping there was some type of clear finish that I could use as a thin coat that would make the scuffs go away, . This works great when I use typical (thread) finish/epoxies over sanded sections of blank or over epoxy finished guides where I sand the finish or slice off thread tag ends, but I understand that those type finishes are not intended to be used for what I am looking to do. I don't want to mess up the rest of the butt section where the original blank finish is in great shape and I guess I could just keep the foregrip lenght as is and either keep the butt wrap or redo a butt on the old butt wrap "footprint". Any suggestions??

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: March 12, 2007 02:37PM

Permagloss will bring back the shine.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2007 12:46PM

Unfortunately I found once cleaning off the old stuff on a blank that there are nice rich blacks where the blank was previously covered, and more faded blacks where it was not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster